Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating a C9300 stack from a Single Standalone Switch

suneetmalhotra
Level 1
Level 1

My query is rather simple. 

I have a Single C9300 switch deployed in the infra. (standalone switch)

I now have another C9300 switch (same model and port as the existing one), which I need to add in the system. Can I add the new switch to the existing switch making them a stack ? I mean can I do that without outage ? Like simply using stack cables and transforming my standalone switch into a stack of 2 units ?

Also, do I need anything other than stack cables to make it possible ? For e.g. do I need special power cables or Power supply or the same power supply which came with both the switches will work ?

I am aware of how to create  stack out of 2 switches, but I am trying to create a single switch into a stack of 2 without outage. Is that possible ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  All stack members must have the same firmware version;

2.  New stack members must have the same firmware "mode" as the master:  Either Install or Bundle Mode and not both. 

3.  All stack members must have the same license level:  Essentials or Advantage and not both

4.  9300L can ONLY stack with 9300L.  

5.  9300 can stack with 9300 and 9300X

6.  9300 & 9300X CANNOT stack with 9300L.

IMPORTANT:  

Power OFF the new stack member before connecting any stacking cable.  

View solution in original post

Hi  suneetmalhotra , 

Yes, it is possible to add a member to an existing switch stack without outage. Ensure the requirements explained in previous posts match (mode (Bundle or Install, License, IOS XE version). Once you have checked those requirements turn off the new device, install stack cables making sure they are properly thigh then you can power on the device.

In addition, you can also enable auto-upgrade. 

The feature will automatically upgrade a new switch to the same IOS XE version as the active switch, without any manual intervention. To automatically download consistent software versions to newly joined switches, you can use the following command from the global configuration mode:

SW-9300(config)# software auto-upgrade enable

Please Note: The auto-upgrade feature is NOT supported in bundled mode.

Please refer to the article below to  Troubleshoot and Recover Catalyst 9000 Switches from Upgrade Failure Scenarios

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/217607-troubleshoot-and-recover-catalyst-9000-s.html 

HTH

Leonardo 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  All stack members must have the same firmware version;

2.  New stack members must have the same firmware "mode" as the master:  Either Install or Bundle Mode and not both. 

3.  All stack members must have the same license level:  Essentials or Advantage and not both

4.  9300L can ONLY stack with 9300L.  

5.  9300 can stack with 9300 and 9300X

6.  9300 & 9300X CANNOT stack with 9300L.

IMPORTANT:  

Power OFF the new stack member before connecting any stacking cable.  

Hi Leo

Thanks for the information, not quite what I was looking for.

Please try to understand my query, I know how to connect two switches in a stack. My query is I have a standalone switch up and running and I want to simply add another switch and form a stack. The existing switch is standalone, and do not have any knowledge/config about switch#2

So, if I plug in a new switch (keeping it off) through stack cables, and power it on after that.... will the whole thing start behaving like a stack of 2 units ? And all this is required without an outage to existing switch. Will it work ?

@suneetmalhotra wrote:

So, if I plug in a new switch (keeping it off) through stack cables, and power it on after that.... will the whole thing start behaving like a stack of 2 units ? And all this is required without an outage to existing switch. Will it work ?

Read the itemized list, especially #1 and #2.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I am aware of how to create  stack out of 2 switches, but I am trying to create a single switch into a stack of 2 without outage. Is that possible ?

yes possible, subject to you understand the steps and pre-requisite meet the requirement, it works as expected.

below document give full steps : (apart from the @Leo Laohoo  main steps)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/white-paper-c11-741468.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi  suneetmalhotra , 

Yes, it is possible to add a member to an existing switch stack without outage. Ensure the requirements explained in previous posts match (mode (Bundle or Install, License, IOS XE version). Once you have checked those requirements turn off the new device, install stack cables making sure they are properly thigh then you can power on the device.

In addition, you can also enable auto-upgrade. 

The feature will automatically upgrade a new switch to the same IOS XE version as the active switch, without any manual intervention. To automatically download consistent software versions to newly joined switches, you can use the following command from the global configuration mode:

SW-9300(config)# software auto-upgrade enable

Please Note: The auto-upgrade feature is NOT supported in bundled mode.

Please refer to the article below to  Troubleshoot and Recover Catalyst 9000 Switches from Upgrade Failure Scenarios

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/217607-troubleshoot-and-recover-catalyst-9000-s.html 

HTH

Leonardo 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card