Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating a vlan 2000 - 2500

phanipriyaraju
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to create a vlan 2000 - 2500 and these vlans should propagate in the VTP domain.

We can only create 1 -1005 in the vlan server mode. only in Transparent mode, we can create more vlans 2000 - 2500

But in transparent mode, vlans are locally significant. Vlans will not be reflected in the vtp domain.

thanks,

phani

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Manish,

As a matter of fact, the VTPv3 is supported on all recent Catalyst switches (starting with Cat2960) since the IOS 12.2(52)SE.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If you want to configure vlans above 1006, then try adding

vlan internal allocation policy ascending
You have to reboot the switch for this to take effect

HTH
Reza

He wants to have those vlans propagated via vtp server  ..

As he indicated I don't you can  have extended vlans  in vtp server mode  and I don't think there is a way around this , at least I remember reading that once unless they have gotten around this limitation in the newer codes.

Hi,

For using the VTP Server to propagate extended vlan , you will need to use VTP Version 3 which is only supported on some flavours  of 6500 series switches, but if your switch doesn't support that version then as Glen mentioned there isn't a work around it as the vlan.dat database file isn't capable of supporting extended vlan's. here's some info on VTP version 3.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/catos/8.x/configuration/guide/vtp.html#wp1017196

Manish

Hello Manish,

As a matter of fact, the VTPv3 is supported on all recent Catalyst switches (starting with Cat2960) since the IOS 12.2(52)SE.

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks for the updated info Peter , I wish i had a complete cisco solution in my network , so that I was using vtp.

I also wish that Cisco could/should improve their costing on these access layer switches so that managers doesn't always jump to Dell / Hp which are cheaper.

anyway , Thanks again for the information about vtp 3 on all different versions of switches.

Manish

esomarriba
Level 5
Level 5

you have to use VTP version 3

Thanks to esomarriba , Peter Paluch manisharora111

Your inputs are really helpful.

Phani

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: