Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default & Static Routes in Cisco 3524 Switch

Hi Friends,

I have a 3524 Switch with IOS c3500XL-c3h2s-mz-112.8.2-SA6.bin.

I want to enable default and static route commands by using "ip route" command. but it's not supporting the same.

Can any one advice me why it is not supporting (I belive it's IOS Issue) and give me the alternate solution..

Thx,

limat..

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Bastien Migette
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 3524 is not a MLS (layer 3 routing capable device), so use ip default-gateway instead.

Regards,

bastien

View solution in original post

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The 3524 is a layer 2 device only and will not do any routing .  The address on the switch is used to manage the switch only and ip default gateway  is used to get to the L3 routing device for the management address . You will need a L3 device (router or L2/3 switch)  to do any routing .

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Bastien Migette
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 3524 is not a MLS (layer 3 routing capable device), so use ip default-gateway instead.

Regards,

bastien

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The 3524 is a layer 2 device only and will not do any routing .  The address on the switch is used to manage the switch only and ip default gateway  is used to get to the L3 routing device for the management address . You will need a L3 device (router or L2/3 switch)  to do any routing .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco