cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dhcp snooping

amrashraf1
Spotlight
Spotlight

If i have more than one vlan on switch can i make ip dhcp snooping on only one vlan of them and all another vlan on switch can take ip from my dhcp server or not for example :

#ip dhcp snooping

#ip dhcp snooping vlan 8 

#interface f0/0

#ip dhcp snooping trust 

This config make client in vlan 8 take ip from trusted port but in the same switch have vlan12 the question vlan 12 can take ip or not

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I am so sorry but this is bug,
see attachmentldfjgdflk.png
sorry but you need to allow vlan for dhcp snooping.

View solution in original post

31 Replies 31

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

only VLAN 8 will be enabled for DHCP snooping, if other VLAN need to get IP from DHCP, then you need to use DHCP helper address

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Enable dhcp helper for vlan 12 only??

I make no ip dhcp snooping info option in configuration mode

Like this 

#interface vlan 12 

#ip dhcp relay information

Hello
I would say if you have multiple vlans participating in dhcp then enabling snooping for all of them is recommended
If you dont enable dhcp snooping for a particular vlan it wont negate any client from obtaining a lease on that vlan, it will mean that lease wont be recorded in the dhcp snooping binding table so it can be used to secure that particular host port from rouge dhcp packets originating from it.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

U recommend this or mean if i apply dhcp snooping on vlan 8 for examle and on the same switch ihave vlan 12 but dosnot apply dhcp snooping client on this vlan can take ip or not 

Hello

As stated its recommended to enable snooping for all active dhcp vlans, However if you do not enable it for specific vlan, it wont negate any client on that vlan from being allocated a dhcp lease

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Ok now ihave vlan 8 and 12 

When i apply snooping for vlan 8 vlan 12 cant take ip from dhcp server but when i make snooping for vlan 8 and 12 vlan 12 can take ip what is the problem

Hello

Curious - As a test on the access-port that is in vlan 12 that doesn't have snooping enabled,  trust that interface and see it the host then receives a dhcp allocation

Kind Regards
Paul

I suspect of option 82 which is enable by default, 
disable this option if you can.

Imake it 

#no ip dhcp snooping info option 

In global mode 

Ihave 2 vlans 8 and 12 

I apply snoop for vlan 8 only 

#ip dhcp snoop

#ip dhcp snoop vlan 8

#interface f0/0 

#ip dhcp snoop trust 

#no ip dhcp info option 

This for vlan 8 

Vlan 12 dont apply snoop when client in vlan 12 try to take ip dosnot work client take apipa after apply snoop for vlan 12 client can take ip 

ok let work in other direction enable and option and also allow-untrusted 
ip dhcp snooping inf option allow-untrusted 

What this command make

the issue is in DHCP server it receive two DHCP message one from that apply snooping and op 82 and other from the that you don't want, 
so there server must decide to accept this or not.
what DHCP server you use ?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card