cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

does anyone know how to solve this?

don.blake67
Level 1
Level 1
  1. Digital hub offices utilise 1000BASE-T between the access and distribution layer and 10GBASE-T between the distribution and core layer. Calculate the bandwidth for each user when:
    1. Two computers directly communicate with each other

2. The distribution layer handles two users simultaneously connecting to YouTube on the same Internet link

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

this is what I would come up with:

--> 1. Two computers directly communicate with each other

Assuming that both devices communicate at the access layer, the effective bandwidth would be 2Gigabit for each user (full duplex)
--> 2. The distribution layer handles two users simultaneously connecting to YouTube on the same Internet link

At the distribution layer, the bandwidth per user would be 1Gigabit (full duplex)

View solution in original post

Hello,

a full duplex 1G connection renders 2G of bandwidth. At the access layer, both devices would communicate at that 1G (2G full duplex) rate. The link between the access and the distribution switch is 1G (2G full duplex), so when both PCs use the link at the same time, both will share the available bandwidth, so each PC gets 1G.

That is the reasoning...

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sorry you looking what bandwidth user required ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

yes, i think that is what the question is asking.

what device is this ? if you have switch with support netflow you can do, or with NBAR

so we need to know what switch is this, what IOS code running on this ?

BB

the question is not really specific so I guess is just switches and end-users

10G between core and distributed, and 1Gb connect to access, but you asking YouTube ?

PC to PC you may get around near by 1GB  (if the end host located in same switch)

if you looking internet, this is depends on available internet speed also,where the Youtube delivering from.

BB

Hello,

this is what I would come up with:

--> 1. Two computers directly communicate with each other

Assuming that both devices communicate at the access layer, the effective bandwidth would be 2Gigabit for each user (full duplex)
--> 2. The distribution layer handles two users simultaneously connecting to YouTube on the same Internet link

At the distribution layer, the bandwidth per user would be 1Gigabit (full duplex)

how did you come up with that if you don't mind me asking, what calculation did you perform

Hello,

a full duplex 1G connection renders 2G of bandwidth. At the access layer, both devices would communicate at that 1G (2G full duplex) rate. The link between the access and the distribution switch is 1G (2G full duplex), so when both PCs use the link at the same time, both will share the available bandwidth, so each PC gets 1G.

That is the reasoning...

i understand now, it makes sense. thanks for the help, i really appreciate it. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Insufficient information.

For example, with your second question, you don't describe the "Internet link" connection (i.e. its bandwidth capacity is unknown).

For more examples, you don't describe host to access switch connection, nor type of switches and how busy they might be.  (For the latter, some switches internal fabric has a bandwidth limitation such that all ports cannot be supported, at full bandwidth, concurrently.)

Last, for example, although unlikely when using switches, many switches support, for Ethernet, half duplex which will impact effective bandwidth between devices.

the exam board made the question which is why I was confused too because of the lack of information provided, however, I will try to ask my lecturer to explain the question in more detail. thanks for the help any way I appreciate it.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card