cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does CBS220 switch support IP Phone cascade connection?

DoCuong63990
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

Connection PoE Switch --> IP Phone --> PC is very popular, it works for almost of cases, just need PoE switch that supports voice vlan. 

I did it a lot of times. 

However, for CBS220, I cannot make it work. 

Anyone please help? 

Below is what I put on the switch: 

-------------------------------

vlan 14
name "LAN-WIFI"

vlan 18
name "IP_Phone"
voice vlan id 18
voice vlan state disabled
voice vlan state oui-enabled
voice vlan oui-table add 00:E0:BB 3COM
voice vlan oui-table add 00:03:6B Cisco
voice vlan oui-table add 00:E0:75 Veritel
voice vlan oui-table add 00:D0:1E Pingtel
voice vlan oui-table add 00:01:E3 Siemens
voice vlan oui-table add 00:60:B9 NEC/Philips
voice vlan oui-table add 00:0F:E2 H3C
voice vlan oui-table add 00:09:6E Avaya

interface gi14
switchport access vlan 14
voice vlan mode manual
voice vlan enable
-------------------------------------

Thanks

9 Replies 9

pieterh
VIP
VIP

yes it is supported: Voice VLAN Commands (cisco.com)

what does not work ?
do the devices work separately ? or does only one of two devices work ?
by the way: I'm missing the "switchport mode access" command 
voice vlan only works on access ports

Cisco 220 Series Smart Switches Command Line Interface Reference Guide - VLAN Commands [Cisco Business 220 Series Smart Switches] - Cisco

Thanks for your comment. 
The PC can get the correct IP add from correct VLAN, however, the IP phone cannot. 
"switchport mode access" command was added, but it was hidden since it is default command 

As for this CBS220 model:
- "voice vlan state auto-enabled"  is not available for global config mode, only OUI-enabled is available 
-"voice vlan mode auto" command" is not available for interface mode, only manual mode is available 

As for CBS250, it works immediately.
But for CBS220, I don't know why. 

I am trying to just manually configure untagged VLAN for PC, tagged VLAN for IP Phone, with interface in TRUNK mode...

Do you have any other idea? 

pieterh
VIP
VIP

>>> I am trying to just manually configure untagged VLAN for PC, tagged VLAN for IP Phone, with interface in TRUNK mode... <<<

then your'e  out of luck, this will not work in trunk mode!!!
For voice vlan the port NEEDS to be configured in access mode
it is the only situation where an access port can carry both untagged AND tagged vlan (only one tagged), it is not a trunk port.

did you verify the MAC address (oui part) complies to the oui-table ?

the command guide specifies 
     Syntax
          voice vlan mode {auto | manual}
          no voice vlan mode
=> if the voice vlan mode auto" command is not available for interface mode,  
    you can use "no voice vlan mode"  to clear the setting to manual, and revert to the default mode which is auto. 

>>>
voice vlan id 18
voice vlan state disabled
voice vlan state oui-enabled
<<<
only the last voice vlan state  command given will be in the active configuration
can you verify that voice vlan id 18 is stil present in the configuration ? -> show voice vlan 
it may be possible that the voice vlan state disabled also removed the voice vlan id 18 command ?

Thank you. I will check it and update the result soon

@pieterh wrote:

>>> I am trying to just manually configure untagged VLAN for PC, tagged VLAN for IP Phone, with interface in TRUNK mode... <<<

then your'e  out of luck, this will not work in trunk mode!!!
For voice vlan the port NEEDS to be configured in access mode
it is the only situation where an access port can carry both untagged AND tagged vlan (only one tagged), it is not a trunk port.

Cannot comment on the capabilities of a CBS220, but, BTW, back years (decades) ago, when switch access ports offering a voice VLAN configuration option was a new feature, we were able to host a VoIP phone and PC on switches, in different VLANs, without that access port configuration feature, using trunk ports.

Basically an access port with a voice VLAN configuration option is a limited/"lobotomized" trunk port.

pieterh
VIP
VIP

@Joseph W. Doherty 
Hi Joseph, yes I know, 
even it may work, I don't think we should to encourage the OP to persue a trunk port solution

look at a random Cisco document about voice vlan

Software Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS Release 15.2(2)E (Catalyst 2960, 2960-S, 2960-SF and 2960-Plus Switches) - Configuring Voice VLANs [Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series Switches] - Cisco

Note

Trunk ports can carry any number of voice VLANs, similar to regular VLANs. The configuration of voice VLANs is not supported on trunk ports.

Ah, from that note, yes, correct, you cannot explicitly configure a "voice" VLAN on a trunk port.

However, although perhaps I misunderstood your earlier reply, I took it as you were saying it was impossible to host a VoIP phone and PC on a trunk port, similar as one would do if using an access port.  That, would be incorrect.  It's not a question of whether it will work, it does work.

Further, though, I'm not encouraging such usage if an access port does indeed support configuration of a voice VLAN.  I was only describing it was something we had to do on switches, long ago, that yet did not support an access port voice VLAN configuration.

KJK99
Level 3
Level 3

When you drill down to the basics, you see that the trunk or access or whatever kind of port are just special configurations of the ‘general’ port mode. With the ‘general’ port mode, you can configure any kind of port you want. When it comes to VLANs, the switch vendors offer you all kind of special VLANs, but they are just sort of ‘wizards’ which you should understand and need to learn how to use. You may think that those special VLANs are the only or correct ways of VLAN configuration. They are not. You are free to chose whatever VLAN type is best for your particular case. Those voice VLANs are just VLAN wizards that turn those special ‘access’ ports into ‘trunk’ ports. You may or may not use them. It’s up to you. I would use them because they come with some extra QoS configurations.

Kris K

Hi Kris,
I don't believe the OP is experimenting with all different ways to configure a switchport for a PC+phone
he  just wants to get the voice vlan operational on the CBS220

there is a preferred way to do so, and he should be able to get this to work.
discussing other options is just "noise" at this time, (safe that for later)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card