cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

eigrp multiple vlan - trunk or sub interfaces?

John Peterson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to pass multiple vlans from our core switch to a remote site, we have a router on each site of the link.

What would be the best method to pass these networks across, via vlan and then trunk the interface or just sub interfaces?

I would have throught it would not really matter and the end result is the same, my conern was that split horizon which kick in.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Since you have a router in each location, you can terminate the local vlans for each location via sub-interfaces on the local router and than have a routed link with /30 subnet between the 2 routers connecting the sites together.  You can run EIGRP if you want to.

HTH

Thanks,

I've be running EIGRP as I would like to advertise the local network to each site.

I guess the setup with be like a router on a stick which is connected to a Cisco switch and then trucked to the specific vlans?

I also have one vlan which needs to transmit Jumo frames between the site via a high speed link but the Jumbo frames would only be via one vlan? Is this possible between the sites but to also have other vlan at normal MTU traverse across?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card