Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP - Network Essentials or Network Advantage

Hi all,

I need to implement a collapsed core network in one of my costumers and I'm going with the 9300 to do this but I'm confused with the licenses.

In the 3650 I was able to do EIGRP routing using the ipbase license license. I know the ipbase license doesn't allow full EIGRP functionality but by using the commands:

eigrp stub connected static summary redistributed leak-map LEAKMAP

ip prefix-list PREFIXLIST seq 5 permit 0.0.0.0/0 le 32

route-map LEAKMAP permit 10
match ip address prefix-list PREFIXLIST

I would be able to allow the switch to share it's routes with the other switches instead of working as a pure stub switch. Thisa would save some money since we didn't had the need to but the IP Advanced license to do this. 

My question is, I see that the network essentials license also supports EIGRP stub. WIll I be able to execute the above with this license or do I need to buy the Network Advantage license to have full EIGRP functionality?

Thank you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure you need Network Advantage License - Essential has Limitation. (only recomended Layer 2 switch some basic features)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Advantage

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure you need Network Advantage License - Essential has Limitation. (only recomended Layer 2 switch some basic features)

BB

Thank you all, I will go with the Advantage then. Cisco changed the licenses so much with the DNA that it became confusing.

Thank you for the help

Yes it is, but eventually you get there ( smart License)

BB

@simoesmarco8626982 wrote:

Cisco changed the licenses so much with the DNA that it became confusing.

That was the objective. 
Moving forward, it will only get worst.

With what purpose?

For people to buy more expensive licenses instead of the cheaper ones because they don't want to take the risk of buying a lower one and then not working? 

Normally this type of thing you want it to be easy to facilitate the sale, not the opposite... 

Cisco's Licensing "process" has been broken for more than a decade.  

Every several years or so someone would attempt to fix it and result in making it worst and annoying the customers.  
As far as I am aware, this latest "innovation" takes the cake and someone was forced to "back down" CSL and the policy of "enforcement".  

Thank you Leo!

One more question, when acquiring a network essentials or network advantage license we only need to add the DNA on top if we want am I correct?

I ask this because in the Cisco website they have this for the network essentials license for example:

Perpetual license compatible with Cisco DNA Essentials. Cannot be purchased as a standalone license

Cannot be purchased as a Standalone license... it means I always have to buy the cisco DNA Essentials?

If your environment not ready with DNAC, you do not need to buy that subscription License of DNAC.

When you ready you can addon . hope this make sense ?

BB

Thank you, Balaji

It's a totally new installation no DNAC on site, so it's not like Cisco states that the network essentials or Network advantage Cannot be purchased as a standalone license

What a mess of a licensing system...

as you see all the post, its new.. but you adopt and get there..eventually. (this is what it is ?)

BB

thank you!

I put this situation now, I have already on-site three switches and I'm going to introduce three new ones that will have DNA. Do I need to buy DNA for the ones that are already on-site? Or I don't need it despite the new ones having it? 

Not needed.

DNA License cannot be purchased separately but can be renewed.

DNA License must be added for every Cisco appliance sold.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card