Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Route Control

Mokhalil82
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

Please see the attached diagram. I have Site1 and Site 2. Site 2 is a pure DC whereas Site 1 has users and some servers. These servers may get moved to the DC eventually.

Site 1 and Site 2 have 2 paths. I want to control my routing over both links between the sites. Currently EIGRP is only configured over the GRE link. The core switches at both ends are currently routing all traffic over the Ethernet link at this moment. I want to configure EIGRP and control my routing so that both patchs are used and redundancy is provided. My requirement is:

1) User subnet 10.10.100.0/24 from site1 to use the GRE tunnel as the primary link for all traffic to the servers at site 2, and this traffic to return via the same route. this to failover to the ethernet if the GRE tunnel goes down

2) Any server to server to server traffic to use the ethernet link as its primary link, and failover to the ethernet

I have looked into offset lists, but cannot see how I can achieve the above objectives. I know how it can influence paths by modifying the composite metrics of a route but here, I am looking into how 2 subnets at the same site access the same destination but over different paths. 

I know PBR will achieve that but just thinking if there is anything else. My reason for configuring it this was is because server to server traffic is usually replication and can be much larger and I would rather it use the 1g ethernet compared to the 200MBps GRE tunnel.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you configure eigrp on both links you could use the K1 metrics to make sure the GRE link is the one thats used as a primary path set the dalay higher on backup link, you could also use variance to load balance across each path under the process

If only one side is EIGRP and the other side is static , you need to make the static less preferred than eigrp by weighting it as its AD is 1 and internal eigrp will be 70

on your cores aswell make sure for the route back a more specific route is across the gre if thats your primary to avoid it taking the backup path and as well it could cause asymetric

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card