Views
Helpful
Replies

err-disable state SW down interface

athan1234
Level 3
Level 3

Hello

Hello I am attemping to install two cisco 9200 Series . The por 24 is in trunk mode is conecting against other 9200 series ( i dont have acces now to this SW  this SW has a some SWitches on different port the SWitches are no cisco) .

there is not bpdu filter o

spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst
spanning-tree extend system-id
memory free low-watermark processor 10055

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/24
description conexion SW02
switchport mode trunk

Debug

debug spanning-tree config
Spanning Tree configuration debugging is on

Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/24, changed state to up

*Jul 13 15:52:59.853: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/24, changed state to up

*Jul 13 15:53:01.548: %PLATFORM_PM-3-LOOP_BACK_DETECTED: Loop-back detected on GigabitEthernet1/0/24.

*Jul 13 15:53:01.563: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: loopback error detected on Gi1/0/24, putting Gi1/0/24 in err-disable state
*Jul 13 15:53:02.562: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/24, changed state to down

*Jul 13 15:53:03.572: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/24, changed state to down
conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
#int gig
#int gigabitEthernet 1/0/24
)#shu
)#shutdown
)#no shu
)#no shutdown
)#
*Jul 13 15:54:13.332: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/24, changed state to administratively down
)#
*Jul 13 15:54:15.518: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/24, changed state to down
)#
*Jul 13 15:54:18.236: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/24, changed state to up
)#
*Jul 13 15:54:20.250: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/24, changed state to up
)#
*Jul 13 15:54:22.365: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan211, changed state to up

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Athan,

Catalyst switches send out simple frames called the LOOP frames out of every switched port. These frames are special in that their source and destination MAC addresses are set to the same value - the MAC address of the sending switchport. Essentially, every LOOP frame is a frame "from me to me". However, such frames are never expected to arrive back to their originating switchport. If a Catalyst switch receives a LOOP frame on a switchport that originated it (the source and destination MAC addresses of the frame match the MAC address of the switchport alone), it will err-disable the port with the loopback error cause - just like the one you are experiecing yourself.

In a properly working network, such frames will never come back to their sending port because any other switch that receives a LOOP frame would be forced to send it out the same port it came in (because the sender MAC = destination MAC). But no switch can send back a frame, no matter how addressed, back the very port it was received on - that is a basic operating rule of all switches.

So if a LOOP frame nonetheless comes back to its originating port, it indicates there is a looping condition in the network. It might be a switching loop involving a single switch or multiple switches. It may be a misbehaving switch or a NIC that reflects back frames on the port it receives them. It may be a poorly coded software switch that does not abide by all rules of Ethernet switching. It may be a misconfiguration (such as feeding a SPAN destination port back to the network that is being SPANned). It may be a physical layer problem looping back the frames (miswiring, damaged cable with short circuits, split fiber, ...).

Either way, an arrival of a LOOP frame back to its port of origin, and the err-disabling of the port, is a symptom of a possibly grave misbehavior of the network attached to that port.

Configuring "no keepalive" stops sending out the LOOP frames. That is why it seems to resolve your problem, but in the reality, you are just disabling the mechanism that detects the problem but the problem itself remains. It's like sweeping it under carpet and pretending it is not there - but it is there, and may come back to bite you badly.

This problem definitely requires further troubleshooting down of Gi1/0/24 of the switch that is seeing the port being err-disabled.

It might be possible that if you disable the keepalives, your Gi1/0/24 will still be blocked by STP if even STP hears back its own BPDUs - in that case, the port will be marked as Broken (BKN) in the "show spanning-tree" output.

But even if it isn't, there is no valid acceptable reason for the LOOP frames from Gi1/0/24 to come back to Gi1/0/24. Deactivating the LOOP frames with "no keepalive" under these circumstances is a ticking bomb waiting to go off.

So you are saying the Gi1/0/24 of the Cat9200 switch you were able to show us is connected to the other Cat9200 switch? How is that switch configured? How is the connection done - is it a direct UTP connection and a cable run with no devices, active or passive, on it, or are there any patch panels, patch cords, cable splices / connectors, ...?

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You shut down an interface and then you brought it back up.

So, what is the question?

HTH

The interface is down for it . I need to come up the link between switches . Now the link is not work .  

Hi @athan1234 

"A loopback error occurs when the keepalive packet is looped back to the port that sent the keepalive. The switch sends keepalives out all the interfaces by default. A device can loop the packets back to the source interface, which usually occurs because there is a logical loop in the network that the spanning tree has not blocked. The source interface receives the keepalive packet that it sent out, and the switch disables the interface (errdisable). This message occurs because the keepalive packet is looped back to the port that sent the keepalive:

%PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: loopback error detected on Gi4/1, putting Gi4/1 in err-disable state

You need to check the other switch. It may have no spanning-tree enable or it can be using a different STP implementation. .

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post the complete output to the command "sh interface Gi4/1".

UZaman3
Level 1
Level 1

Also, double check you don't have another physical link connected between those two switches

athan1234
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

I have had access to the other sw, which is not connecting to the network due to a link problem.

This week, I'll have an intervention to try to remedy that error-dosable when the link is connected to the internet. 1/0/24

I received a capture for the other switch I was agregating keepalive for the future practice because that for it was the issue.

athan1234_0-1691391380278.png

athan1234_2-1691391590692.pngathan1234_3-1691391645523.png

According to the information I have on those ports, there is a SW connection for other manufacturers.

athan1234_1-1691391548152.png

@athan1234 wrote:

*Jul 13 15:53:01.548: %PLATFORM_PM-3-LOOP_BACK_DETECTED: Loop-back detected on GigabitEthernet1/0/24.
*Jul 13 15:53:01.563: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: loopback error detected on Gi1/0/24, putting Gi1/0/24 in err-disable state

I want to see the output to the command "sh interface Gi4/1".  The output above is not from port "Gi4/1".

Loopback errors, from both ends, from a copper link does not look good.

Sorry if I misunderstood you. Where can you see the gi4/1 interface??

Your thread mentioned Gi 4/1.  Even @Flavio Miranda spotted it.  

Someone edited this thread and removed Gi 4/1.

There is no interface g 4/1

@athan1234 wrote:
%PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: loopback error detected on Gi4/1, putting Gi4/1 in err-disable state

Then where did @Flavio Miranda and I saw this?

Leo,

I think Flavio copied&pasted the explanation of the loopback error from another source, and the explanation contained the Gi4/1 as an example.

Best regards,
Peter

@Peter Paluch, my eyes must be playing tricks on me then. 

@athan1234, there are only two reasons (that I know of) that throws a "loopback error" and disables the port:

• Faulty cabling
  • NIC card's impending failure

If the remote end is a switch, it may show up in the "sh interface <PORT>" as line errors.  If the remote end is not a switch, move it to a different switch and see if the problem follows to the new switch.

Leo, Athan,

If I may add, another reasons for a loopback error like the one above are a switching loop occurring downstream the port, or a switch that has a seriously broken "deja-vu check" as we used to call it in TAC - the verification whether an arrived frame should be switched out the same port it came on (which, unless we're doing VNtags, must never happen).

Best regards,
Peter

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card