Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extend LAN through 4510

I want to extend my LAN by connecting a 2960 to my in place 4510. Can this be done as a simple daisy chain through one of the existing ports,(say Gi8/48) connected to an uplink port on the 2960? Or do I need to use the uplink port on the supervisor of the 4510 with a TwinGig adapter and GBIC connected to the uplink port on the 2960?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would think that it would work just fine to use a regular port from the 4510 to connect to the 2960. Does the 2960 have a single vlan configured (and the connection would be an access port) or are there multiple vlans configured and the connection would be a trunk port?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

A couple of commands to run to check the connection:

sh cdp neigh will tell you if there is any connection between the switches.

sh interface trunk will tell you if the interface is a trunk.

Did you define the vlans that can pass over the trunk?

Did you set a native vlan?

Anything in the logs? The logs are usually pretty good for trunk errors.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would think that it would work just fine to use a regular port from the 4510 to connect to the 2960. Does the 2960 have a single vlan configured (and the connection would be an access port) or are there multiple vlans configured and the connection would be a trunk port?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Multiple vlans, so the port would have to be a trunk. I've configured both ports to be trunks, but I can't seem to get a connection. I tried using a crossover thinking the MDIX wasn't working properly, but no luck. I started to wonder if I was just baning my head against a wall and it wasn't possible.

A couple of commands to run to check the connection:

sh cdp neigh will tell you if there is any connection between the switches.

sh interface trunk will tell you if the interface is a trunk.

Did you define the vlans that can pass over the trunk?

Did you set a native vlan?

Anything in the logs? The logs are usually pretty good for trunk errors.

I'll try the neighbor, but I'm not evening seing link on the interfaces, both are showing down/down.

I've set both interfaces to mode trunk, allowing all vlans though. I defined the native vlan (1) and the only other vlan I need to communicate through the 2960. (thats 2 vlans out of 8 total). Native vlan is set to 1 on both ports.

I didn't notice anything in the logs, but I could change the level of logging for more information.

Do you get any link at all on the interfaces and then they go down? Or are they just down the entire time?

What is the VTP info on the switches?

Can you paste the interface config from both switches?

Sorry for not updating this sooner.

Could never figure out what the problem was. Never got a link, both ports showed down the entire time. A sh int trunk didn't show the ports as trunk ports, even though the run clearly showed them configed that way. Not sure if that was becasue no traffic was flowing across or what. The 2960 switch was not doing anything else, so I reset it back to defaults and reconfiged the port. The trunk came up fine then, and I passing packets from both VLANs. All seems good. Thanks to both of you for your help.

Since your info was correct, but just not working on my switch before the default reset, I'll mark you both correct.

Thank you for posting back to the forum and letting us know that you have resolved the problem. I am sorry that our suggestions were not effective but thank you for marking the question as answered. It is interesting that reset the 2960 and reconfigure did resolve the problem. It does suggest that there was something going on with the 2960 that was causing the issue.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card