Views
Helpful
Replies

FabricPath or OTV between two DataCenter using Direct fiber cable

Steev112
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have two DataCenter  both of them has the same equipment N7k, N5k and N2k, and we want both dataCenter be Active/Active, i am really confusing to use OTV or FabricPath Feature, if any one can help me for my scenario and explain to me what is the best solution and  advantage and disadvantage between OTV and PabrcPath.

Thanks  a lot in advanced

20 Replies 20

Hi Robert, thanks for your contribution to the discussion, though I want to make it clear, at any one point I didn't say we couldn't run FP over the DCI (you make it sound like I did) I also don't doubt what you're saying. There are built in features with OTV that makes it more optimal and thus could be argued much strongly that its more suited for DCI, that was my point.

FP is great, no doubt, however with the 9K's especially, I would say NO GO, as HSRP anycast isn't yet supported as far as I'm aware. This is a huge point (point of FHRP localisation)

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

I didn't really cast any doubt. If it is indeed supported on the N9K's please do share the documentation... I've been waiting for it!

I see how your gateways are "separated" personally I think its a bit of a hack - though it works, it's not quite clean, i'd rather do those extra commands and know I'm more safe - thats a personal opinion. You still have the problems with FP vs OTV regarding DCI, as I discussed above (bullet pointed).

Further to that, I'd "save money" if I needed to, by not bothering with the 5K's (if I could) - VDC'ing off the 9Ks in to its functions.

Anyway, glad your setup works for you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hi Robert, if you want to make an argument out of this (Which it seems like from the tone of your posts) then we should take it elsewhere and not on the forum. I was actually talking about the 9500 not the 93s.

i know what conversational learning is, and please don't insult me when you can't seem to grasp what happens with arp and broadcasts regarding FP and OTV. I've done my research and lab'ing probably a lot before you, so technology continues to move forward. You really do need to read my posts, at not any point did I say OTV is faster in its convergence than FP, actually quite the contrary!

I am still waiting for you to show me where any cast HSRP is supported on the 9Ks.

Ta 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card