cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Finding a port associated with an IP address

nguyenvinnie
Level 1
Level 1

We are using a 6509 switch with native IOS. Is there a command to find the port to which a known IP is associated?

8 Replies 8

s.marino
Level 1
Level 1

Type at the console prompt sh arp to find the ip address and mac address then type sh mac-address-table to find the the mac and port.

Please leave a rating if this helps.

snm

Thanks, it's workinging great.

within one step go for "show ip interface brief".. :)

show ip int brief will tell you which IP address is configured internally on each VLAN and on each layer-3 "no switchport". However, it will not tell you anything about the IP addresses of devices connected to the layer-2 switchports, which is what I think the original posting was asking about.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

yes ,i think you are right ,may be the question was that way... :)

show ip int brief is a very powerfull command and can show alot but keep in mind that it only shows primary ip adresses.

But Show mac-add interface fa0/1 shows the MAC addr. on the fysiscal interface and then you can do an show ip arp | include [the macaddr from former command] and then you have the ip addr. of the client on the specific interface...

vanguardro
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

if OP refer to configured ip address on 6500, then we can use next command:

show run | include interface | ip address | description

or more explicit one

show run | include interface | ip address 172.16.30.24 255.255.255.240 | description

if OP refer to connected ip address, then sh ip arp and sh mac-add will be my best bet on this

best regards

vanguardro

in my case, I am typing all of the commands mentioned here and I dont get the IP address of the connected PC.

"sh mac-add" only shows the PC's mac on port fas0/15 but "sh ip arp" does not show anything related to this PC's mac address

Also, this 24-port 2950 switch has ONLY 2 interfaces UP, the one that connects it to the main switch and the other one for the PC.

is there any other way to find out the IP address of the connected PC?

currently, I have to go down 3 floors to the server room to find this info out.... :(

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: