Views
Helpful
Replies

Flapping mac in vlan 1

chpmotry
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys. 

I have a network with many hubs. And i have timeout sometimes in my network and im showedthis  in my 2960 switch this loggs.

20240204_140227.jpg

My network topology is:

sofeire-1.jpg

 all of the port of these switches are on vlan 1 .

What i doing to solve this problem?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Make sure you have no loops in the network, 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

fniccola
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ciao!

all mac-addresses into logs are related to a cam (verify them on a mac address lookup site)
could be present a loop... basically the switch is seeing the same source mac from two different ports.

let me share with you some troubleshooting steps:

1. verify the entire topology from physical point of view,
make sure for example, that on the interfcace fa0/19 there is only a cam or a group of cams.

2. verify the spanning-tree for vlan 1 on the switch (configuration and state)

3. verify the cpu level (processes and interrupts) during the problem

TKK
FabioN

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

pieterh
VIP
VIP

each switch builds a MAC address table for each connected device
plus a table for MAC addresses reachable via the uplink to another switch
the log means that the 2960 switch learns it's own locally connected mac addresses back from another network device

this can happen because some of your network devices (possibly a cam) are using the same mac addresses
-> use the command "show mac address table" on all your switches to detect IF indeed is a mac address is used multiple times
you can also use "show mac address-table address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx " to search for a specific address
==>> this is the first to investigate

OR it can mean some communication of mac adress learning is disturbed
e.g. because the microtik links have too long delay

I also advise to replace the D-link hub (if it really is a hub)  with a switch

another advise  is segmenting your netwerk by converting your mikrotik links to routed links (L3,  instead of switched = L2)
that makes you network more robust but also a little more complex -> you need to train a bit for networking

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Make sure you have no loops in the network, 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

fniccola
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ciao!

all mac-addresses into logs are related to a cam (verify them on a mac address lookup site)
could be present a loop... basically the switch is seeing the same source mac from two different ports.

let me share with you some troubleshooting steps:

1. verify the entire topology from physical point of view,
make sure for example, that on the interfcace fa0/19 there is only a cam or a group of cams.

2. verify the spanning-tree for vlan 1 on the switch (configuration and state)

3. verify the cpu level (processes and interrupts) during the problem

TKK
FabioN

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card