Views
Helpful
Replies

Flash - Read only file system

sannymlao
Level 1
Level 1

Good day,

I have a switch cisco ws-3650 -24ps-s which in rommon mode "switch:" I tried to boot packages.cnf but keeps rebooting.

I tried to copy a new IOS version in rommon mode  to flash: but I got a message which indicates an error  "Read only file system."

Could you please help me on how to copy IOS in rommon mode to flash successfully?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you and regards,

Sanny

33 Replies 33

mattjones03
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

When you installed the IOS, what error message was presented during boot-up?

Actually there is no error message during boot up just goes straight to rommon mode.
Thank you for your reply.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@sannymlao wrote:

Could you please help me on how to copy IOS in rommon mode to flash successfully?

Use the "emergency-install" command.  

Emergency Recovery

Thank you sir. I will try this method.
But I don't have tftp server. I just used extra putty and tera term to copy a new IOS to flash. Unfornately, got this message "Read only file system." I think I need to change attribute of the flash from read only to read/write but I don't know how.
Anyway sir I will try the one you said but I have a question, is it possible to run emergency install using hyperterminal xmodem?
Regards,Sanny

@sannymlao wrote:
is it possible to run emergency install using hyperterminal xmodem?

Yes.  

Good day sir,
Could you please tell me on how to do it?
By the way I found the cat3k_caa-recovery.bin in the SDA9. Please check attachment.
Sir, what do I do now?
Regards,Sanny

Hello everyone!

I have the same problem, I received a new Catalyst 9300, and it looks like it doesn't have any IOS on it, and it goes to the ROMMON mode. I tried to copy the ios file from my USB drive but I received this error that flash is read-only. Could you please help me with this. Also, I'm not familiar with the emergency command. Please send me some information about that? Thanks!

Regards, 

Ray

Ray,

You need to boot from USB first when in ROMMON mode, then copy the IOS to the flash, and modify the boot system command.

Tra

@anayeri wrote:

I tried to copy the ios file from my USB drive but I received this error that flash is read-only.

Console into the switch and re-run the command.  We want to see the actual error message.  

@anayeri wrote:

Also, I'm not familiar with the emergency command.

Please read Emergency Recovery.

You should boot from USB instead of Copy IOS. Here is the command in ROMMON mode:

switch: boot usbflash0:cat9k_iosxe.16.06.05.SPA.bin

​change your IOS name if you have a different version. After the switch is up, then you can copy the IOS from USB to Flash. And configure the "boot system flash:xxxxxxxxxxxxx".

mondod
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have a solution for this? I just ran into this issue and my switch will not take any kind of file that i TFTP to it. Thanks in advance!

switch: copy tftp://10.10.10.11/cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.06.E.152-2.E6.bin flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.06.E.152-2.E6.bin
flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.06.E.152-2.E6.bin: read only file system

@mondod wrote:

Does anyone have a solution for this? I just ran into this issue and my switch will not take any kind of file that i TFTP to it. Thanks in advance!

switch: copy tftp://10.10.10.11/cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.06.E.152-2.E6.bin flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.06.E.152-2.E6.bin
flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.06.E.152-2.E6.bin: read only file system

Use the "emergency-install" command.  

Emergency Recovery

vstepanov
Level 1
Level 1

It is strange that a lot of people asking about why flash is read-only in switch mode for IOS-XE, and nobody can answer. 

Is this caveat documented? Maybe it is possible to change it to read-write, but again, there is no any reference in the documentation about it and nobody has answered yet on the Cisco forum.

emergency-install is not the same, there should be the ability to copy files to flash at least. 

Regards,

Vladimir

Comm4nd0
Level 1
Level 1
I had this problem and this answer is this. Don't try to copy the .bin file to flash while in ROMON. What you need to do is simply boot from the file that is on the USB stick. Then after boot you can copy the file over to flash.

hope this helps.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card