cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ftp server with dynamic DNS help needed

Michael Durham
Level 4
Level 4

I need to set up an ftp server on my network that needs to be accessed from the ourside workd.  A static IP would be best but Verizon wants $500 a month for one. YES $500/mo. 

I have setup an account on NO-IP and downloaded their app to my PC which is IP 192.168.69.150/24.  I have a 2851 running IOS 15.1.  What I need to do is direct requests from downloads.mydomain.com to my ftp server that has an IP address of 172.20.0.2.  I know that I need to configure my DNS from downloads.mydomain.com to user.no-ip.biz.  But, what do I need to configure on my router?   I can find examples of what to do if I had a static IP but I do not.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wow, $500 for a public IP address?  That is robbery.  Shop around and find a different provider in your area if there is one.

Usually, Verizon is expensive to begin with and they also have the worse customer service. On your public facing router you need a public IP address, to NAT the source IP which is 192.168.69.150/24

Good Luck

There is no other provider in my area.  I tried HughesNet and they SUCK!  Speed is slow, and data limit caps.   I am using a cell phone/4G for my data access which is why they charge so much.  I need a work around.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card