cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How could I add a new switch 3650 to existing stack?

Zagam
Level 1
Level 1

I have a stack from two switches 3650, but i want to add a new switch 3650 to existing stack, could I add this new switch without turn off the existing stack?

My stack and my new switch are in the same ios version, my stack have priority 15 for the master and priority 14 for the standby, I'd like to put priority 13 for my new switch.

I need to turn off my stack? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Add switch to existing stack

1) on existing stack - switch X provision (type of switch your adding)

2) on new switch change switch priority  save and power off 

3) connect stackwise cables - which new switch off

4) power on switch new switch

same iOS / same mode of switch  and feature set you should be good.

here is the guide :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/software/release/3se/ha_stack_manager/configuration_guide/b_hastck_3se_3650_cg/b_hastck_3se_3650_cg_chapter_010.html#task_1177470

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

LanDownUnda
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Zagam,

If you want to add a switch to an existing stack while not interrupting anything than connect the stackwise cables to the new switch ensuring there is no power to the new switch. If you add the new switch in while its turned on than you will trigger the entire stack to reload and re-elect roles.

I hope this helps!

*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

I mean, whats is the better solution? Reload all stack or just add the new switch without turn off the stack?

IMO there isn't really a better solution of the other in this particular scenario. It comes down to your goal:

Objective A - You need to upgrade the iOS images on the stack, add a new switch and do some maintenance? Reload the stack.

Objective B - You just need to add a new switch? Use the "add switch" process.

*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Hello

Just make sure the new switch has the same ios version then the current stack.

1) on the current check the current stack numbering etc... then provison for the new switch
show switch
conf t
switch 3 provison ws-3650xx
switch 3 priority xx
exit

wr
2) attach new switch to current stack va the stackwise cables ( make sure the new switch is NOT turned on) also making sure the stack ring cabling is closed ( all switchs are connected to each other)

3) power on new switch

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I mean, my stack and new switch are with the same ios version, my stack is from 2 switches, these switches have 15 and 14 priority, my new switch I'd like to put 13 priority, my question is, how I can add a new switch to existing stack? 

Add switch to existing stack

1) on existing stack - switch X provision (type of switch your adding)

2) on new switch change switch priority  save and power off 

3) connect stackwise cables - which new switch off

4) power on switch new switch

same iOS / same mode of switch  and feature set you should be good.

here is the guide :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/software/release/3se/ha_stack_manager/configuration_guide/b_hastck_3se_3650_cg/b_hastck_3se_3650_cg_chapter_010.html#task_1177470

BB

Thanks, but still I have a doubt, when I to add the new swicht, never turn off switch 1 and 2? (switches from the stack)?

My question is, when I'll add the new switch, I'll disconnect the stack cables, the stack will be down? I mean, switches from stack never I'll turn off?

when you adding the Switch you will not turn off the switch 1 and 2

but you will rmeove Stack ring cable to connect to Switch 3 and same for 4, follow the guide i provided in the previous post for reference.

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card