Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Abort Traceroute Execution?

sharone.job
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How can I abort the traceroute execution, when the IP route fails somewhere?

Type escape sequence to abort.
Tracing the route to 10.6.177.68

1 10.148.50.73 4 msec
    10.148.64.1 4 msec
    10.148.50.73 4 msec
  2 10.148.65.1 4 msec 4 msec 8 msec
  3  *  *  *
  4  *  *  *
  5  *  *  *
  6  *  *  *
  7  *  *  *

29 Replies 29

Hi Sharone,

Generally it depends on which terminal emulution  you use to connect to router...

Generally it is Ctrl+Shift+6 , but some also have Ctrl + 6; keep it pressed for lillte longer.

Regards,

Smitesh

it was right for me

it working for me

Thanks Jonathan! This solution worked for me. : ) 

John B

Life runs on the router.

ajstadlin
Level 1
Level 1

I had similar problems with this not working. 

I'm using PuTTY terminal and the serial console.

My work-around is to use the keyboard's Right-Ctrl + Right-Shift + 6

//AJ

asabunada
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

guys if u still have this porblem try this

press ctrl+shift+6 together after that unpress them and press x i hope it will work

faisalfadhil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sharone,

I've just had the same problem! As far as I know, the escape sequence should work (Shift + Ctrl + 6 + x). However, it didn't.

What I did is I waited it till it finished, went into global config and typed in the command:

no ip domain-lookup

This instructs the Cisco device to display I.P addresses as, well, I.P addresses! Without this command, the device will attempt to resolve the addresses to hostnames, which could take a little while.

Now that the command is in effect, I went back to privileged and did the traceroute again. It took only 2 seconds to complete the trace!

This might not be a solution to your (and my) problem, but I think it helps to have the trace finished in a matter of two seconds.

Cheers

pbreeves80847
Level 1
Level 1

After trying every combo in these forums I found:

SHFT+CNTL+6 works immediately, every time, BUT

I MUST USE the 6 key from across the top of the keyboard.  "6" from the Number Pad will not work.

Hope this helps someone.

pbreeves80847
Level 1
Level 1

After trying every combo in these forums I found:

SHFT+CNTL+6 works immediately, every time, BUT

I MUST USE the 6 key from across the top of the keyboard.  "6" from the Number Pad will not work.

Hope this helps someone.

jgranahan
Level 1
Level 1

I am in Cisco Modeling Lab 2 -- console session of a router:

the only sequence that worked was Ctl-6.

Thank You,

-John

Ctrl+Alt+6

issamsaadaoui
Level 1
Level 1

Ctrl+Shift+9

works immediately

SysAdmin01
Level 1
Level 1

Lots of advice on this old thread.  I'm in a Cisco 4500X switch via SSH and the escape sequence works for me to kill a traceroute immediately without fail is Ctrl-Alt-Shift-6.  

This is a very old, and long, discussion. Some people say this combination works for me, while other people say that some other combination works for them, and other people have yet another combination that they say works for them. And I am sure that each of them is correct - about their own environment. I am confident that this is not some difference in Cisco device operating systems, but is some difference in the user environment: probably some difference in the emulator that they use, or perhaps also depending on the OS (and maybe version of code) on the computer that they use.

I am confident that Cisco devices when they receive a break sequence will terminate a traceroute. The question really is for a particular computer OS, version of code, what emulator will generate and transmit the break sequence.

HTH

Rick

Daggett26
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If you are on AZERTY layout, take care of what is done when you strike shift+6..

For example, il US QWERTY, shift+6 makes an "^"

For French AZERTY Layout, shift+6 make a...6! So for french, it's Ctrl+^ to work.

Have a nice day

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: