Views
Helpful
Replies

HOW TO CHANGE MANAGEMENT VLAN

ajay kondapalli
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Management VLAN is vlan1 by default. we assign switch IP address to interface vlan 1 generally.

what should we do if we want to change management vlan from vlan 1 to vlan 10 or someother.

for ex : I need to use ip address 192.168.1.1 for my switch to login remotely by telnet.

That subnet is from vlan 10.

can i configure like this :  

interface vlan 1

no ip address

shut

interface vlan 10

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

no shut

Need info.

Thanks,

Ajay

7 Replies 7

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

If it is a L2 switch then

interface vlan 10

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

is enough and don't forget ip default-gateway if you manage from a distant subnet.

Your interface vlan will be up/up if

1)the vlan is configured on the switch

2) the vlan is active on one at least one port

3) it is in the stp forwarding state on this port

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

dwillie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ajay:

Are you wanting to change the "Native" VLAN or just use a differnet VLAN for your management data?  VLAN 1 is by default the native vlan...

Regards,

Darren

Ajay,

What you are suggesting yourself, should work.

rocko2006
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This is an old post but nevertheless i think what you missed (an mostly already found ^^) is that you have to create the vlan and not only de SVI. For example:

vlan 10

name administration

So the vlan is added in L2 and can travel trough the trunk link. And the SVI will be the L3 domain that can give you management access throug the L2 trunk link.

There are other ways to add a management vlan using a IGP for example and L3 interfaces but i think you are looking for this road.

Cheers,

nathan demers
Level 1
Level 1

OK I have got to point out a couple things.

1. Do you really need to use telnet?  (outside of the scope of your Q but its very insecure)

2. If you are telneting in via the management IP and you make that change in that order you are going to have a bad day.  By removing the management vlan that exists you effectively remove the ability to remote into the machine.  I suggest the reverse.  Create interface vlan 10 and IP it.  Test it then remove the Ip from vlan 1.  You also do not need the no shut on an SVI.  By default they are not shut.

CONFIG

interface vlan 10

ip add 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

vlan 10

name management

!-----TEST CONNECTIVITY

default interface vlan 1

int vlan 1

shut

end

wr

So I am dealing with the same issue.  So if I create as you created interface vlan 10 - add ip and subnet - name it - Am I doing this while VLAN 1 still has the same IP assigned to it?  Or at the same time and when testing if VLAN 10 works I shutdown the default vlan? I want to make sure before I make this change so I dont lose access to the switch in a production environment.  

You ask "Am I doing this while VLAN 1 still has the same IP assigned to it?" No you do not put the same IP address on 2 interfaces at the same time"

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: