Views
Helpful
Replies

How to detect console

Munther
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

is there any method to know if the console cable is connect to device or not ?

we have switches in different location, some of them is connected with console cable, i am looking if there is any method to know if the device is connect with console cable or not.

Best Regards.

8 Replies 8

try #show line

https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/cisco-ios-in/156592942X/ch04s07.html

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Just a footnote to what @Kasun Bandara provided, it would only show a currently "up" link.

you can find line is active or not by '*' mark at start of lines. 

Good luck
KB

Dear @Kasun Bandara

Thank you for your reply.

i checked with # show line , i got the following:

- when the console is active, there is a (*) mark.

- when the console is not active , there is no (*) mark.

-----

my issue is not related to active console session, i just would like know if there is a console cable is connect to our switches or not, because when we upgraded the device to a new version and there is console cable connect to the device, the device enter to rommon mode, and i tried to find any solution for this issue.

if console is connected to device without any PC or Laptop connected to console's other side, there is no way to check that. you need to physically check that. 

Good luck
KB

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

As far as I know, there is really no useful command that can show you if the console line is connected (up or down). There is "sh line console 0" but this only shows you the characteristics of the line and not if the console is connected to anything.

HTH

Hi@Reza Sharifi 

exactly i am looking if there is any method to show you if the console line is connected (up or down).

do 
show user 
this give hint that user use console or not.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card