cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Install IOS Image on a Cisco Switch after Factory-Reset All (Ca

pizpan
Level 1
Level 1

As the title suggests, I find it very hard on how do I solve this problem. As a beginner on this networking world, the current switch that I'm using which is Cat9500 16x, why is it showing switch: instead of the normal. Apparently I don't have IOS image after Factory-Reset my switch.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pizpan
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks y'all for the input, I've found the solution by trial and error. After obtained the IOS image from Cisco website, installed in inside a usb driver, I just need to boot it up through it and save the config with the command "write memory" 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The command "factory-reset all" will always completely erase the flash. 

Because the 9500 does not support "emergency-install" the only way to get the flash back in is to boot the firmware from a USB flash drive.  Once the switch has boot up, copy the firmware from the USB flash drive into the switch's flash and perform Install Mode (see attachment). 

how do I exit ROMMON Mode? even after restarting the switch, it put me into ROMMON Mode right after restarting the switch

@pizpan wrote:
how do I exit ROMMON Mode?

Please take the time to read and understand my response.  

if the Switch going to ROMMON Mode, you need to set the boot variable or any other setting missing to boot the device correctly.

Post complete boot logs 

try below

switch: dir
switch: boot flash:packages.conf

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/216944-troubleshoot-bootloader-rommon-and-pas.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

davislee2122
Level 1
Level 1

It sounds like your Cat9500 switch is not recognizing the IOS image after you performed a factory reset. This could be due to a few different reasons, such as the image being corrupted or missing, or the switch not being able to locate it in the correct location.

To resolve this issue, you will need to obtain a valid IOS image and load it onto the switch. Here are some steps you can take to do this:

Obtain a valid IOS image from Cisco's website or through a licensed vendor.
Connect to the switch using a console cable and a terminal emulator program.
Enter privileged EXEC mode by typing "enable" and providing the enable password.
Enter configuration mode by typing "configure terminal".
Use the "boot system" command to specify the location of the IOS image. For example, "boot system flash:cat9k_iosxe.16.12.04.SPA.bin".
Save the configuration by typing "write memory" to ensure that the switch boots up with the specified IOS image.
Once you have completed these steps, you should be able to reload the switch and it should recognize the IOS image and boot up normally. If you continue to experience issues, you may need to consult the Cisco documentation or seek assistance from a networking professional.

I've tried this beforehand posting this but apparently I can't access the switch and it only on ROMMON Mode which is switch: , see below for my current switch status.

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

is the 9500 in live production network or just for a lab?

does it have smartnet warranty?

pizpan
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks y'all for the input, I've found the solution by trial and error. After obtained the IOS image from Cisco website, installed in inside a usb driver, I just need to boot it up through it and save the config with the command "write memory" 

Sure and glad all working as expected. appreciated your feedback.

Always check the image is correctly downloaded and check the MD5 checksum also.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card