cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to test a new switch without adverse affect

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

We brought a new core switch (cat 9500) with the intention of shifting to it , however i would like to test some uplink to make sure the link will go up on the shifting day , however I'm worried if i connect the new switch it would mess the vtp or the spanning tree. would there be any effect to my current network if i connect my current old switches to a port with empty configuration on the new core switch? 

5 Replies 5

Hello,

what are you trying to test, just the physical and the layer 2 connectivity (interface up/line protocol up) ? If you are worried about VTP, put the switch in 'VTP transparent' mode, other than that, I do not really see a problem with testing an uplink port.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

you can configure new switch not become root bridge and make it transparent mode (rather a VTP participant).

connect the devices to exiting network and check each uplink. not to partcipate any routing.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

what about the spanning tree? would a new empty switch effect my PVST?

you can configure new switch not become root bridge - set the high priorty

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

At the very least, configure both ends on a VLAN that goes nowhere, like a VLAN that does not even exist in the VLAN database of the active unit.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card