cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to use USB option on 2960s

witkopstaub
Level 1
Level 1

just got new hardware and decided to try the newer USB port for IOS upgrades. I could not get the switch to recognize my 2gig flash drive. Do I need a proprietary stick or special format?

I also noticed when I removed it the switches crash dump and rebooted - what the heck?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

19 Replies 19

1GB is the maximum supported size

Sorry Edison I'll have to disagree with you on this.

I've tested up to 2Gb because I don't have anything else bigger than that.  The 2960S maybe able to  support up to 4Gb or  8Gb.

Take note that not all USB sticks are supported. 

I'm just following the documentation...

I'm just following the documentation...

It's Ok.

I didn't.  LOL

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

ROBIN WITKOP-STAUB wrote:

just got new hardware and decided to try the newer USB port for IOS upgrades.  I could not get the switch to recognize my 2gig flash drive.  Do I need a proprietary stick or special format?

I also noticed when I removed it the switches crash dump and rebooted - what the heck?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I believe that USB access on the Cisco devices requires a FAT filesystem. A lot os USB drives take the abysmal assumption that you're a WindoZe user and format NTFS.

Also, Cisco devices only support USB2 - if your stick is USB3 this could be a problem.

And, from what I've been reading, Cisco devices only support "approved" USB drives. Couldn't find out what defines "approved", though - apart from a Cisco logo on it, of course. :-)

Cheers

And, from what I've been reading, Cisco devices only support "approved" USB drives. Couldn't find out what defines "approved", though - apart from a Cisco logo on it, of course. :-)

I have two Lexar-branded USB.  One works and the other one doesn't.  The one that fails is not because of the "innards" but the socket is a few millimeters too short to make contact.

I also tried a Toshiba-branded USB stick and it crashed the brand-new 2960S over and over again.  LOL!

Like I said, some work and some don't.

ejs7s
Level 1
Level 1

I'm new to the 2960S and also tried to upgrade firmware with my USB with a SanDisk Cruzer 4G and cannot get the switch to take the image.

I'm getting this error. I'm as sure as I can be that the file name is correct and the .tar in is the root of my USB stick.  The switch is recognizing the usb as usbflash01. Anyone have any ideas? I also found you need a skinny usb or it will not go in USB port on switch far enough.

%Error opening usbflash01:c2960s-universalk9-tar.122-58.SE2 (File not found)

%Error opening flash:update/info (No such file or directory)

ERROR: Image is not a valid IOS image archive.

ERROR: Image is not a valid IOS image archive.

One of two things:

1.  Either the IOS you downloaded is corrupt or not complete; or

2.  USB stick was not formated correctly.

When you download the IOS from the website ensure you it is complete and not corrupted by comparing the MD5 hash value.

Before you stick the IOS into the USB stick, make sure your USB stick is formatted correctly:  FAT16.

Hmmmmm ... SanDisk.  I'm not sure but I've seen a similar post that SanDisk don't conform to the standard and may not work.  Just give it a go.  I could be wrong. 

Have you found that you must use a 1G stick or less.  1G sticks don't seem to be readily available anymore.  Do you have a recommended brand.

Have you found that you must use a 1G stick or less.

Nope.  I've tested 2Gb and 4Gb and no issue.  You can go up to 8Gb.

Do you have a recommended brand.

No I can't.  Just because a brand says "Lexar" or "Sony" doesn't mean that it's really manufactured by that company.  USB sticks are very cheap so the "brand" are being re-macturered by someone who makes them for the whole lot.  That's why some of these sticks won't work because they use old standard.  Some Lexar sticks work and some don't.  Go figure!

My recommendation is to just go to your nearest electronic shop (like Best Buy or something) and get one or two.  I mean the US is good because if the product doesn't work then you can return it. 

Brian Hurley
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently came across this issue and I can bet that the main cause of this is the 2960S casing.  It leaves the USB slot slightly deeper than most other Cisco device casings that have USB, which means that the USB flash drive does not get fully inserted with the way most flash drives are manufactured to have protective and/or cosmetic plastic covers around the drives.  In my case I had a flash drive that would not be recognized, except I had previously broken the flash drive so that the internal hard disk and USB could be removed from the outer casing.  Once I did that and tried again it inserted properly and was recognized, so I tried putting the flash drive casing back on while it was still inserted into the 2960S and sure enough it was off my just a few millimeters or less.

So look for smaller skinnier flash drives when using 2960S in order to fully insert them into the USB slot.

Apologies for ressurrecting this old thread but wanted to thank Brian as he is spot on about skinnier drives working! +5

I have it working with USB 4gig - FAT32 form Nexxtech

c2960S IOS 12.2(58)SE2

And with another USB flash, 64 Meg - FAT, it works as well.

This right here worked for us! We basically stripped the casing off of a USB extension so that it fit all the way down into the USB port. As usual, a Layer 1 issue, lol.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: