Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP - Help

ross_rulz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have attached a network diagram showing a proposal from our vendor to setup HSRP between our 2 sites. I have one clarification is it required to have a direct connection between the 2 routers. From my understanding HSRP would be running over the interfaces connected to the switches. The interfaces from the routers connected to the switches will be placed in there own VLAN on the switches.

Our vendor says the direct connection is for HSRP heartbeat. If someone can help me out I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ross.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ross

I can't read visio files but from what you have described it sounds like the vendor is proposing a physical direct connection between the routers ?

HSRP only requires that the interfaces are L2 adjacent. So if you have 2 routers and their fa0/0 interfaces are connected into a switch, and both ports on the switch are in the same vlan then HSRP will function correctly. You don't actually need a direct connection between the routers.

Jon

View solution in original post

As Jon said you are not require to connect routers directly on your LAN segment.

And for the Wan failover you need to track Wan interface under HSRP

Bhargav

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ross

I can't read visio files but from what you have described it sounds like the vendor is proposing a physical direct connection between the routers ?

HSRP only requires that the interfaces are L2 adjacent. So if you have 2 routers and their fa0/0 interfaces are connected into a switch, and both ports on the switch are in the same vlan then HSRP will function correctly. You don't actually need a direct connection between the routers.

Jon

As Jon said you are not require to connect routers directly on your LAN segment.

And for the Wan failover you need to track Wan interface under HSRP

Bhargav

nsn-amagruder
Level 5
Level 5

I've never seen, nor recommend running hsrp over the internet or wan connection. The timeout values would need to be set high so the routers didn't failover back and forth.

The biggest down fail, is that you have to advertise the same ip address space out from both internet connections. Let's say that the HO link between your 3750's went down. Traffic coming into one connection can not reach service at the other location, but the internet doesn't know that.

I would seriously start looking at another vendor who knows more about internet design.

Aaron

NonStop Networks, LLC

http://www.nonstopnetworks.net

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Like Aaron, looking at both your diagram and description makes me wonder what your vendor is doing.

Not quite sure how or what the intention is for HSRP on the Internet facing side.

On the LAN side, HSRP should work as diagramed, but if it's on its own dedicated VLAN, why?

Further, unless mHSRP is being used, all traffic from once site (outbound) would use the other site's gateway.

Again, unclear what your vendor is trying to accomplish, but HSRP is a virtual gateway protcol. Why isn't there routing being done between the two site routers?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card