Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

influencing path based on source address

Hi Guys,

Need an expert advise on scenario, i have core switch which has default route configured, For few specific ip i dont want it to take default route i want it to take static route path pointing to route than default. i know core switch would do route lookup when it looks at destination address and choose defualt or wt eva configured but how can i make core switch to ignore default if source is lets say 10.1.1.1 and dest any, for rest of network use default gateway.....thanks

regards

farooq

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You'll need Policy Based Routing to accomplish this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_58_se/configuration/guide/swiprout.html#wp1228588

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

farooq

There is a feature of Policy Based Routing which can make routing decisions based on source address. It sounds like this is what you would need if I am understanding correctly what your requirements are. PBR is supported on some switches and I would hope that your core switch would be one that does support this feature.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You'll need Policy Based Routing to accomplish this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_58_se/configuration/guide/swiprout.html#wp1228588

Regards.

Alain

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

farooq

There is a feature of Policy Based Routing which can make routing decisions based on source address. It sounds like this is what you would need if I am understanding correctly what your requirements are. PBR is supported on some switches and I would hope that your core switch would be one that does support this feature.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks alot guys but prob is my core switches are 6500 series and if i use sext next hop option pbr is not done in dfc but software which cause perform issues, sory i should have been more specific...any alternative or work around ?

Hello Mohammad,

See here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/layer3.html#wpmkr1033564

The Policy Feature Card (PFC) and any Distributed  Feature Cards (DFCs) provide hardware support for policy-based routing  (PBR) for route-map sequences that use the

match ip address

set ip next-hop

ip default next-hop

farooq

I am not aware of any alternative other than PBR that will route traffic based on source address.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks alot guys

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card