Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter-Vlan routing

rajesharihant
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts. 

I am puzzled at How this scenario is possible. 

L3 is connected to VLAN10/20/30. with corresponding IP addresses. I enabled IP routing on L3, so they are connected with each other. G0/1 is assigned to VLAN40, relevant IP also assigned to VLAN40.

L2 is configured with all ports assigned to VLAN40. including G0/1. 

G0/1 is access port assigned to VLAN40. I have not configured any Trunk Port. 

Now, My confusion is - I expected only the VLAN40 to pass through G0/1 - as it is an access port. 

But When I simulate - All VLANs are now connected - Which is surprising to me. 

May be this is normal - but I couldn't understand this behavior - as I expect only Trunk port with dot1q encapsulation to pass multiple VLANs. 

appreciate your time and advice in this regards. 

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what you mean "But When I simulate - All VLANs are now connected - Which is surprising to me. "

if you looking ping can reach all VLAN with the IP address, since they have reachability using L3 Router, which takes care of routing logic to reach each other VLAN interface Ip routing point of view.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks I got this!! 

Hello

Gigi0/1 is connected to vlan 40 and so is the switch, so any host connected to that host switch will also be vlan 40 and as long as each host had the correct default gateway of  vlan 40 which that resides on the L3 device, Then inter-vlan communication to be successful, no trunk would be required

Each host will send any traffic that doesn't reside on it own network towards it own specified default gateway which is the L3 device and inturn the L3 device will route the traffic onwards to it destination.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks. 

Since, I am using the DGW, Trunk port wouldn't be required. 

So, we can conclude that 802.1Q and VLAN Tagging is not being used when connecting VLAN40 with rest of the VLANs. 

Hello

if you had any port on that switch in any other vlan other than vlan 40 then you would require a trunk as it stands no trunk is necessary the switch is just acting as an intelligent hub in vlan 40 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card