cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet Access Control

Holtw
Level 1
Level 1

For historical reasons, the company network did not distinguish between the office network and the production line network, and now wants to restrict the access of the production line network terminals to the Internet, but they can access certain services.
Since specific services are on the public network and the public IP resolution of these services is dynamic, what should be the restriction on the Layer 3 switch?

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is more like a job for a dedicated firewall.

Because the firewall is not controlled by my local site, if I operate on the firewall, what operations should I ask the firewall administrator to perform?

you can give administrator set of ip addresses from > to and things needs to block or allow such as protocols, applications, websites, etc.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

What should I do if I can only set up a Layer 3 switch?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Since specific services are on the public network and the public IP resolution of these services is dynamic, what should be the restriction on the Layer 3 switch?"

Well, you could block specific application type of traffic to/from your office network addresses (to/from any public address).

If you want to block just specific sites, you might be able to use NBAR to parse/recognize DNS names.  Or, a bit more involved, have your production network access a local DNS server that sends disapproved of domain names, possibly including specific service names (e.g.  WWW) an invalid IP

Thanks, but I would prefer to implement these configurations on a tier 3 switch.

Preferences are all fine and good, but sometimes a preference cannot be met for your end goal is to be accomplished.

Generally L3 switches do not support NBAR, although I recall (???) I may have read some of the very latest Cisco switches support some NBAR features.

Without NBAR and/or overriding DNS results, it may be very difficult to selectively block certain protocol access to named hosts which have multiple IPs.  Maybe something might be done within an EEM script, but I have no experience with that (believe there's another forum on that topic).

For example, assume you want to block your production network from www.youtube.com.  Assuming an EEM script to occasionally do an nslookup for that server name

getting, for example:

www.youtube.com
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.42.30

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: youtube-ui.l.google.com
Addresses: 2607:f8b0:4009:81a::200e
2607:f8b0:4009:819::200e
2607:f8b0:4009:818::200e
2607:f8b0:4009:81b::200e

if might (re)build an ACL dynamically.

Thanks very much. I know it is difficult to carry out such an operation with such limited resources, but I still want to try it for various reasons. If there is no better way, I will seek more resources.

Yea, again, if you're limited to just your L3 switch's capabilities, it might be difficult to impossible to meet your goal on it.

Different devices have different capabilities, to suit different issues.  LAN type L2/L3 switches often only handle typical LAN type issues.  (Even among switches, their capabilities vary, such as between basic "appliance" LAN switches, large chassis Enterprise switches, and MAN switches.)   Advanced security, generally, is more often found on routers and/or firewalls (probably because both, especially the latter, are often demarcation points for administrative domains, e.g. "inside" vs. "outside").

Also keep in mind, if you can concoct some very unusual solution on your switch, such as some involved EEM script, that "solution" creates additional operational and maintenance issues.  (For example, you leave your company, who maintains that solution, then?  Who can your company later hire that has experience in "your" solution?)

When you remind your company of the above, assuming they truly want a solution, often they will then be willing to purchase a more usual (commercial) solution.

Yes, I was limited in the technical aspects and neglected some other aspects, thank you for reminding me.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card