cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Intra vlan routing issue

njohnson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have a brand new 4510e with dual sup7 engines.  I am having an issue with a vlan routing correctly.  I believe that I may have missed a command, but not for sure.  OK, so I have the native VLAN 1 setup with 10.1.24.0/21 address on it.  I also have three ports that I did a no switchport on and made into a L3 routed ports for the various different subnets here at our company.  Everything is working and routing correctly as it should.  However, if I create a vlan and give it an IP address of a new subnet I am currently setting up here, and then try to trace to that address (or any address on that subnet) from my workstation that's on the native vlan the trace will go to the 4510 and then on to our main outside (seperate device) router and then to our ISP and will eventually fail.  It's like the 4510 does not even know that the IP of that vlan I just created even exists.  I just don't get why a L3 port routs fine but a VLAN will not route.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Nate

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As Reza says shouldn't matter but i have seen rare occurences where creating the L3 interface first and then the L2 vlan has meant the L3 interface just won't come up. Very rare though.

So it's all working now ?

Jon

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nate

Can you confirm that the L3 vlan interface you created is up/up ie. do a "sh ip int brief".

Also have you created the vlan at L2 ie.

4500(config)# vlan x

Jon

Hi Nate,

As Jon said verify the vlan state.
Make sure you have assighned the particular to any port.

int vlan 10
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
no shut

vlan database
int vlan 10

And you need to give "no switchport" command before applying an ip address to interface

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Thanks Jon and Naidu!  Does it matter which layer you config first? Because I origionally setup the vlan interface first then the actual vlan and that didn't seem to work, but when I setup the vlan first and then the vlan interface it worked as expected.

It shouldn't matter which one you create first.

If you create the interface vlan first with IP, it is not going to be in up and up mode until you create L2 vlan

As Reza says shouldn't matter but i have seen rare occurences where creating the L3 interface first and then the L2 vlan has meant the L3 interface just won't come up. Very rare though.

So it's all working now ?

Jon

Yes Jon, it's working now.  Weird!  Thanks for your help!

Hi Nate,

Glad to see that your problem is solved.

But you have not rated my post.

Regards,

Naidu.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card