Helpful
Replies

IOS upgrade on WS-C2950-24 running SI

tpaprotny
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 WS-C2950-24 switches which are using the Standard image IOS release

(c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA2.bin).

I need to enable layer 3 QOS on these switches, is it possible to upgrade to the Enhanced Image IOS (12.1.22-EA9(ED),

or do I need to replace these switches?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Disagree , no you can't upgrade I don't believe . The software recognizes what the hardware is and will only install the features that is included with that switch . So if the switch is a SI switch to begin that is all that you can get . You would have to upgrade the switch . Take a look at the images , the SI switches and the EI switches all run the same image so the features installed is done by the software which recognizes it as a SI or EI switch , sorry , always thought it was kind of strange that you couldn't upgrade it too but that is the way it is .

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

enkli
Level 1
Level 1

Yep fully possible

rate if it helps

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Disagree , no you can't upgrade I don't believe . The software recognizes what the hardware is and will only install the features that is included with that switch . So if the switch is a SI switch to begin that is all that you can get . You would have to upgrade the switch . Take a look at the images , the SI switches and the EI switches all run the same image so the features installed is done by the software which recognizes it as a SI or EI switch , sorry , always thought it was kind of strange that you couldn't upgrade it too but that is the way it is .

Many thanks Guys,

I had a feeling that there was a hardware issue here, but was not sure.

Looks like a switch change is my only way.

How can I get the iOS image?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card