cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS versus IOS XE

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What are the major differences between IOS and IOS XE ?  Is this a big learning curve ?  The reason I'm asking is we are looking aT replacing EOL 3750G's and we aren't sure whether to go to 3750-X  or  go to 3850  (IOS XE) .   We don't really want to go thru another big learning curve like Nexus OS  was  .    It's not really a performance issue as the current 3750G have done the job more than adequately so we don't really need the big performance increase of the 3850's .  That being said I'm not sure what the EOL is for the 3750-X  and we don't want to have to do this again anytime in the near future .  I'm sure the 3850's would get me into my retirement date  :-)  .

2 Replies 2

Hi Glen,

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/ios-nx-os-software/ios-xe-3sg/QA_C67-622903.html

Hope this gives you some info about IOS XE.

Thanks,

Madhu

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

In principle, IOS XE should differ little from the same level of IOS.  What can be more of a change shock, is differences due to features differences between IOS versions (for example, your 3750G might be running 12X while 3850s will likely run 15x) and hardware feature differences (3750G and 3750-X are much more alike than a 3750 and a 3850).

I suspect the 3750-X is getting close to an EoL announcement.  The longer term support prospects should be much better for the 3850 series.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card