cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP address reverts to default after reboot

Jason Kuhn
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco SG200-08p that's acting up.  After setting up 2 larger 200 series switches I pulled this out for its config.  I changed the default password and assigned the new static IP address of 192.168.0.103, that's it.  The settings applied and worked normally but after rebooting the switch it reverted itself back to the default ip of 192.168.1.254, it retained the new password.  After this happened a few times I upgraded the firmware to the latest version, reset the device to factory settings and applied the new address again to have the same problem.  It doesn't matter if I reboot the switch in the management interface or physically.  Is there a problem with having a zero in the third octet (that would be lame)?  Or another issue that I dont know about?

6 Replies 6

Jason Kuhn
Level 1
Level 1

anybody?

stubinski
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Have you tested this with a different IP address, 192.168.2.103 for example?  Also, what is the subnet mask that you are using?

It does seem to work when i assign the address 192.168.1.103

Subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0, the same as the other switches.

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Apart from the factory default static IP address (192.168.1.254) there is also default gateway factory address of 192.168.1.1.

When changing the mgmt static address to 192.168.0.103 will you please also try to change the DG ip address either selecting "User Defined" and setting the IP address within the same subnet, ie. 192.168.0.x or selecting "None". Apply & reboot afterwards and see if there is any difference.

Best regards,

Antonin

Mike Hale
Level 1
Level 1

Make your config change again, then look to the top right corner of your browser window.  You should see a little red symbol.  Click on that symbol to save your config to flash, then reboot and see if it works. 

Working better? 

Sorry for the delay guys.  I was unable to resolve the problem using your ideas and set the switch to operate on DHCP, then made a reservation for it.  The switch ran for a few hours and locked up, then never booted again.  Its going back for an RMA

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card