Views
Helpful
Replies

IP device tracking

ross_rulz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have Cisco 3850 switches and we dont use dot1x but we need to turn off ip device tracking but when I do it from global config mode it pops up the below error:

Switch(config)#no ip device tracking        

% IP device tracking is disabled at the interface level by removing the relevant configs

I've tried disabling it under interface mode even though we don use it.

Can someone please show me how to disable it globally?

Thanks.

23 Replies 23

Thanks Richard that worked.

yea, no problem. if you wouldn't mind marking it as "answer" so others can review it if needed.  thanks

Hi Richard and Ross,

in my case (models tested are 4900M and 4500-X) i don't see any change concerning the ip device tracking.

It is still enabled globally and on all interfaces, and i still can't remove it.

The table also still lists the discovered devices, and i can still see the switch sending probes with wireshark.

I have put nmsp attach suppress on all the interfaces. (the devices are not directly connected to the switch though)

Could it be i am missing something or does this workaround only help in certain cases?

Thanks,

Tom

Does the nmsp attachment suppress command have to be applied to the vlans and port-channels too or just the physical interfaces?

just physical interfaces, including NM module interfaces (1g,10g)

-lp

Hi Richard,

it seems some features sort of automatically enable IPDT on an interface.

One of those features seems to be nmsp.

If it is enabled globally the interfaces are IPDT enabled. You can stop it per interface by setting the nmsp attachment suppress as you described.

Another feature, as pointed out by John French, (see https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4061789#4061789)

seems to be "macro auto monitor" .

After disabling that IPDT was disabled on all my physical interfaces, however active Port-Channels are still enabled.

What do you mean by:

PS. version 3.3 is released for the 3850 (major release)

is something fixed in the latest 3.3. version ?

Is there a Bug ID for this?  I am having the same issue just now on a stack of two 3850's...when my VM Hosts reboot they believe there is a duplicate IP due to the device tracking...the only way to fix it is nmsp attach suppress.

Hi Richard.

Re-opening this case.

We have 3850. We did not configure "nmsp attachment suppress" on any interface.

We connected the links to the clients equipment and powered up the 3850 last November 2015.

Then this March 2016, the issue regarding IPDT occured.

My question is why do you think the issue only occurred 4 months since we rebooted the 3850 switch?

Thanks.

Mark Puyales 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card