cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SLA TCP-Connect object and getting it to syslog

eric.hand
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ip sla that is doing a tcp-connect to a web host to check availability.

I'm using a track command to then remove a route accordingly (failover through another route due to static routing).

I have a need to syslog this so that I can then have my syslog server report this to me.

change events are not syslogging and the TAC has suggest an IOS upgrade as a possible path. However this is on my core 6500 router and i'd rather not do an upgrade (and thus downtime) if at all possible.

note# routes below are for a test case that I have that is working and I can easily change to do with default routes once I get the test case to show syslogs so I can come in to work, and KNOW somethings changed without having to look at the device.

ip sla monitor logging traps
ip sla monitor 1
type tcpConnect dest-ipaddr 208.42.67.31 dest-port 443 control disable
ip sla monitor reaction-configuration 1 connection-loss-enable
ip sla monitor schedule 1 life forever start-time now

track 1 rtr 1 reachability
delay down 1 up 1

so my route that I change when it's up is this:

ip route 72.233.89.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.0.199 10 track 1

and when it fails I have a static route of metric 100 that takes over because the above is removed.

this works wonderfully, however, NO SYSLOG EVENTS.

I tried implemented an EEM script, however as i'm on version 2.1 I cannot do the 'event TRACK' command based using SNMP.

has anyone done anything like this? Any thoughts on a better way to get something to log? can i make a script to look at my route tables? That would work for me i suppose.

thanks in advance.

this is on a 6509 running s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH.bin for an image.

If this question is best suited somewhere else, admins: please feel free to move it.

Eric

1 Reply 1

mitra dray
Level 1
Level 1

its a Late answer but maybe useful for others .

you can simply use something like :

ip sla logging traps

ip sla reaction-configuration 110 react timeout threshold-type xOfy 2 5 action-type trapOnly

RTR#sh logg | i RTT

*Oct 31 04:30:10.720 EST: %RTT-4-OPER_TIMEOUT: condition occurred, entry number = 110

*Oct 31 04:30:10.722 EST: %RTT-3-IPSLATHRESHOLD: IP SLAs(110): Threshold Occurred for timeout

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card