Views
Helpful
Replies

Is the cisco 4948 power supply hot swappable

kevrmf
Level 1
Level 1

Good day,

Can someone let me know if the Cisco catalyst 4948 power supply is hot swappable or not. I have a few switches with 2 power supplies, but each have 1 power supply fan not functioning (got this info. from the NMS as well as seeing red light on the non functioning power supply of the switch). 

What I will like to know is 

1) Can the fan alone be replaced and if so can I use a fan from the fan tray?

2) Is the power supply hot swappable; if the switch has 2 power supplies, one working and one is not, can I swap the non working power supply with a good one and the switch will not shutdown, lose configs or any of the sort. 

Thanks in advance for your assistance. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Power Supply Redundancy for Nonstop Operation

The Cisco Catalyst 4948 provides reliability for critical applications, with 1+1 redundant hot-swappable internal AC or DC power supplies. The 1+1 power supply design provides A-to-B failover when power supplies are connected to different circuits. AC and DC power supplies can be mixed in the same unit for outstanding deployment flexibility. The Cisco Catalyst 4948 also has a hot-swappable fan tray with four redundant fans for additional serviceability and availability.

follow below guide to replace the PSU one at a time :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4900/4948E/installation/guide/4948E_ins/04frus.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Yes , both can be replaced , of course only if there is a remaining redundancy part actice ,
                 For your convenience when working on this , connect with the CLI and issue the command
                 terminal monitor , to get console messages on this vty too!

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Power Supply Redundancy for Nonstop Operation

The Cisco Catalyst 4948 provides reliability for critical applications, with 1+1 redundant hot-swappable internal AC or DC power supplies. The 1+1 power supply design provides A-to-B failover when power supplies are connected to different circuits. AC and DC power supplies can be mixed in the same unit for outstanding deployment flexibility. The Cisco Catalyst 4948 also has a hot-swappable fan tray with four redundant fans for additional serviceability and availability.

follow below guide to replace the PSU one at a time :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4900/4948E/installation/guide/4948E_ins/04frus.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

kevrmf
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, the URL had some good information. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card