Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue Upgrading IOS - 3650

Hi all,

hope you can help me

I'm having a weird issue with a 3650 switch while trying to upgrade it.

I have the switch with the version 16.6.3 and want to upgrade it to the version 16.9.5, but every time I copy the file using tftp via SSH or Telnet and run the command verify .md5 after copying the file, the checksum is always different from the one present in the Cisco website, and of course if I try to install this, the expand process always fails.

I've updated 13 others 3650 switches in the same network using the same process without any issues, but this specific 3650 gives me always issues with the file.

Anyone has any ideas?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Have a look at this. There is a bug associated with this error message and there is a workaround.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuu10600/?rfs=iqvred

HTH

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I want to see the error message when you attempt to expand the firmware.

Hi Leo,

this is what it gives me:

--- Starting install local lock acquisition on switch 1 ---
Finished install local lock acquisition on switch 1

Expanding image file: flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.09.05.SPA.bin
[1]: Expanding file
[1]: Verifying parameters
[1]: Expanding superpackage flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.09.05.SPA.bin
[1]: Validating package type
[1]: Note: Source file /flash/cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.09.05.SPA.bin will be removed automatically after completion.
[1]: Verifying package signatures
[1]: Signature verified on package cat3k_caa-guestshell.16.09.05.SPA.pkg
[1]: FAILED: Signature Verification failed on cat3k_caa-rpcore.16.09.05.SPA.pkg
FAILED: [1]: FAILED: Expanding all-in-one software package failed in switch 1
FAILED: Unable to expand flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.09.05.SPA.bin

Hi,

Have a look at this. There is a bug associated with this error message and there is a workaround.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuu10600/?rfs=iqvred

HTH

Hi Reza,

thank you for the reply I will try.

I was just checking and supposedly on the release that the switch has now 16.6.3, this bug should have already been fixed no?

Thank you

Information provided by @Reza Sharifi is correct and particularly the Workaround. 

Information about Known Affected Releases and/or Known Fixed Releases are imfamous for containing incorrect or outdated information.  

We are dealing with 3650/3850 family of switches so consider this bug to be present in every releases associated to this platform.

16.6.3, this bug should have already been fixed no?

As Leo also said, that is not necessarily always the case with every upgrade. Some versions fix one problem and create 3 more issues and some don't even fix any and add a few more bugs. So, you may have to upgrade more than once to fix this issue. Sorry!

HTH

Good to know Cisco is on the case of creating more Bugs...

Thank you all for the replies! I'm going to try and will give feedback afterwards 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card