Views
Helpful
Replies

Knowledge Retention and Recalling

jinkazama_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

When starting out, wondered what you guys used as your reference points for things like IOS commands, Protocol Numbers, Timers etc when "in field". Im sure over time I will remember them by heart, but struggling a little right now. I have nearly completed the CCNP and have a plethora of Q-Cards, but I can hardly take these into a new job. Do most of you just use the Cisco Documentation DVD?

Thanks

Omid

6 Replies 6

albert.remo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

On a personal note, you need not to know everything. You just have to know where to find the right resources. Cisco website provides complete compilation of everything that you need to know. The search engine is a great tool. The Discussion Forum on the other hand provides information on actual experiences of others who are very much willing to help. Our generation is very lucky to have the benefits of connectivity, thanks to our predecessors. Better to always have internet access when going to the field. If internet access is not possible, try getting information from the right resources before going to the field. Cisco Documentation DVD will also be beneficial. Just to add, learning is a continuous process so always find time to read and learn.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Albert

dave.keith
Level 1
Level 1

I'm smiling as I write this Omid, because I tend to use the "?" command very frequently :) Thankfully it works well for help in both IOS and CatOS, which is where my confusion often starts, especially with the very different port mirroring (SPAN) commands ! I also use 'sho start' and 'sho run' to get command syntax, after which I will cut/paste/modify/enter commands.

Dave

thanks guys, sorry for the late reply.

Im going back into field after nearly 2.5yrs and getting a little nervous. Just power re-read most of my CCNP books, and the CCIE Routing Vol 1. Great information there, but remembering all those commands!! Thats something I need to practice.!

Just remember that you won't be able to remember everything. I have both volumes of Routing TCP/IP, the BGP and OSPF Command and Configuration Handbooks and the Catalyst Switch configuration field manual at my desk. It never hurts to have the documentation you need to do your job.

Hi

I also share same problem as yours. What I do is keep a reference list of IOS commands which I have ever used till now.Once I go to the site,I just consult that doc for the command and a mere look makes me remember everything.

Moreover, I also keep records of all the client/LAb config I have done which are ready reconer when doing configs I do not remember.

And as my other friends have suggested, cisco.com and google.com answers each and every question you will ever have.

Regards

JD

megathumpzilla
Level 1
Level 1

IOS commands- use the ?. You can make yourself references by "sh ? " etc. ? lets you feel your way through most things you are familiar with but didn't retain details.

If you can hit google, you can do anything.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card