cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 Routing problem with Nexus VPC pair in typical core position

will
Level 3
Level 3

This is a standard configuration, with 2 nexus 9k running VPC between them, and catalyst access switch trunked at L2 redundantly to the two Nexus. All L3 SVI lives on Nexus core, and enumerated with HSRP on each core box.

N9K-1------|

||               CAT3k-1   (vlans 100/200)

N9K-2------|

CAT3k switch is port-channeled to the 2 x N9K, and trunked for vlans 100/200. VPC peer link carries vlans 100/200 and runs on the same native vlan as the CAT switch port channel native vlan.

I noticed an odd problem in that not all traceroutes go through primary HSRP interfaces (N9K-1) when I go back and forth between vlan100 and 200. So essentially N9K-1 has higher HSRP and VPC priority but traffic goes through N9K-2 when routing to vlan 100:

N9K-1:

int vlan100

ip addr 192.168.100.2

hsrp ver 2

hsrp 1

preempt

priority 150

ip addr 192.168.100.1

N9K-2:

int vlan100

ip addr 192.168.100.3

hsrp ver 2

hsrp 1

preempt

priority 125

ip addr 192.168.100.1

Here is the VPC config:

vpc domain 1

peer-switch

role 200 / 300 (primary / secondary)

peer-keepalive dest 1.1.1.1 source 1.1.1.2 vrf vpckeepalive

peer-gateway

fast-convergence

ip arp synchronize

When I traceroute between vlans 100 and 200, sometimes the default gateway of N9K-2 responds, even though HSRP and VPC domain priority is higher. When I shut one one of the HSRP interfaces (100 or 200) on only one of the N9K's, there is weird on/off connectivity between the subnets. So I suspect traffic is coming on on the CAT3k uplink to N9K1 for example, but N9K1's vlan100 interface is down. However, the VPC peer link is not carrying the traffic over to the vlan100 interface of the N9K2. There is no routing between N9K1 and 2 over the VPC peer link. All vlans are L2 with the L3 as SVI on each N9K. Vlans 100/200 are on the VPC peer link.

Anyone have a clue? I suspect its related to the peer-gateway or peer-switch command. Essentially to make it work, I have to shut all SVI's on one or the other N9K. My port-channel hash algorithm is ip-src-dst load balance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I think I found where you are misunderstanding, 
when the traffic receive for V100 it can not L3 routing using SVI of V200 it must route use V100 in other nexus Peer.

View solution in original post

hi mhm, i think your answer is inline with what i described in the latest post, showing routing behavior. so thank you for reaching out!

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

peer-gateway & HSRP 
HSRP
HSRP have it VIP and this VIP is answer from both vPC this is how vPC work,
then what is the function of active HSRP, it the only one that reply to ARP request.
Peer-gateway

when config the SVI in each Peer this peer will the only peer answer to any traffic destination to this SVI IP, BUT with Peer-gateway this will enhancement with make both peer answer to SVI IP of one Peer. 
do show mac address vlan 
you will see "G" beside the SVI for each Peer.

hi, thx for quick reply. i have peer-gateway configured, as seen in the vpn config snippet. still doesn't work.

May be below example clarifies your setup, why vPC HSRP working active/Active :

https://www.ciscozine.com/nexus-vpc-hsrp-vrrp-active-active/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

"weird on/off connectivity between the subnets"
can you more elaborate ?

thx for all the replies, in first post, I tried to simplify the design a bit so its easy to understand. after reading the ciscozine behavior, i realize, it might be worth elaborating a bit further, as i didn't think the backup peer would send traffic out one of its active interfaces, if the the other interface was down. Here is a more accurate diagram:

|------N9K-1------|

DMZ----Firewall (Vlan200)        || (VPC)     CAT3k-1 (vlan100)

|------N9K-2------|

When vlan100 is shut on the N9K-2 backup VPC peer, the traffic from v100 destined to stuff in the DMZ off the firewall on vlan200 doesn't make it, or doesn't get a reply if it does make it. I need to troubleshoot this more on Monday, but essentially it looks like when the vlan 100 interfaces is down on N9K-2, the traffic should go N9K-1, which I would expect anyway when both interfaces are up, but there is something odd about how nexus peer process traffic, so even when both vlan100 are up, some hosts go through the backup peer v100 interface.

Anyway, shut v100 down on N9K-2 and traffic fails to make it to or receive from the DMZ hosts hanging off the firewall. Note, firewall is also port-channeled to the Nexus peers and running on v200, and both interfaces are up on the peers for v200. in other words, N9K-1 and N9K-2 have both v200 up and forwarding traffic. Supposedly, N9K-1 is HSRP primary. I shut only one of the V100 interfaces and something breaks on the workstation switch side (Cat3K) and they cannot talk to the DMZ hosts.

In thinking through this, i think perhaps the firewall may be seeing traffic from 2 x v100 interface native IP's on the nexus side, rather than the HSRP address. In this case, the firewall may be doing some sort of IPS since its seeing traffic from essentially two v100 nexus IP's, rather than their HSRP ip address.

thx for diagram. its starting to look clearer. In step 8 though, why does 7k2 not just send directly to S over Po2? is it because its a PO and hashing tells it to use 7k1? If so, why is there not logic in the NXOS code to handle this situation? There is no reason why 7k2 could say, I have "peer-gateway" configured so I will just send to S, or for 7k1 to say, why not just send the traffic i just got from 7k2 over peer-link to the S via my 7k1 po2 uplink? It looks like this might be why im seeing traffic death? How do i handle this situation the best way in configuration then?

in example not show why 7K2 forward traffic directly BUT, 
one of case is 7K2 shutdown SVI so the 7K2 don't have L3 capability to forward traffic "notice since traffic pass through different VLAN so it need L3 to forward traffic".
7K2 need L3 to forward traffic BUT 7K1 have this capability So it send traffic through Peer-link and then the it drop.

so in FW which is router mode how the route is config for VLAN 100?

hi mhm, on my firewall, the route to v100 is set to the v200 HSRP address of the vpc peers. In the failure scenario, im only shutting the vlan100 interface on _ONE_ of the vpc peers. I would expect L2 traffic coming to the down vpc peer v100 to be forwarded over the vpc peer link for L3 processing. I need to analyze if this is happening or not, and then see if firewall is actually getting this traffic or the return traffic is failing. ill be able to do that next week. thgx again for everyone's replies.

I still think the logic in step 10 of the diagram is confusing, there is no reason for the VPC L3 peer to not forward the traffic, in my opinion. if L2 is working on 7k2, why not just shoot it over peer link and then out the 7k1 svi? Also, my traffic flow is a bit different that the diagram in that the PO1 and PO2 segments are different L3 vlans. and the nexus are doing routing for the traffic as well and L3 port-channeling.

Match hash in both v100 and v200,

Make sure asa use mac address of vip of hsrp not real address.

Hello
If i understand you OP, then what you see is normal, as stated by others , even if you run a FHRP such as HSRP in a vpc environment, data plane traffic is treated by the vpc a active/active so either switch can process , Only control plane traffic such as an arp query would you then obtain a reply from the HSRP primary

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

As other has stated, this is the normal behavior. Why, this is due to the loop prevention in the vpc environment. The loop prevention is accomplished by marking frames that is received from a "vpc port-channel" and then sent out on the vpc-link. When the vpc-peer receives the frame it will not send this frame out on a "vpc port-channel". 

So in your environment, frames entered the cat3k in vl 100. The cat3k will forward the frames out on the port-channel, so it will do a hash calculation to see wish of the ports to select for forwarding. This is done regardless of the status of the interface vlan 100 (shut or no shut) If it is the link towards n9k-2 then the n9k-2 will receive it. If the vlan 100 is up in n9k-2 it will do a routing lookup, see it should be sent to the firewall on vl 200, and then send it directly to the firewall on that link. If, however you have done a shutdown on int vlan 100, the n9k-2 can not do a routing lookup, so it just look in the mac-address table to see where to forward the frame. It sees it should be sent over the vpc-link towards n9k-1, and when it sends the frame it also inserts the marking that tells the neighbor that this frame was originally received from an "vpc port-channel. When n9k-1 receives the frame it does a lookup and sees that this frame has to be forwarded out to the firewall on a "vpc port-channel", but because the frame was marked as being received from a port-channel, it will drop the frame.

/Mikael

thx mlund. the frame forwarded out to the firewall being dropped doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't the N9k-1 see this as an L3 frame and realize, it has routed it to vlan200, and its now safe to forward to the Firewall next hop address? There is no reason to use some sort of L2 loop prevention on this frame at this point. Seems like the nexus cannot handle or doesn't have the smarts to run L3 SVI and L2 at the same time.

I think I found where you are misunderstanding, 
when the traffic receive for V100 it can not L3 routing using SVI of V200 it must route use V100 in other nexus Peer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card