Views
Helpful
Replies

LACP Hashing

mike-greene
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

We need to bond together two 100Mb Ethernet circuits between our company and a customer.  The only traffic the bonded circuit will see is a single VPN between our firewall and the customer firewall.  With only those two IP's, or the two MAC addresses..the traffic is only going to be hashed onto one of the links.  My question is when one of the links gets to 100Mb will the traffic spill over to the second link and start to fill that one?  I'm thinking probably not since the hashing on the second port will be looking for a different binary number for that link.

Thanks,

Mike

2 Replies 2

de1denta
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Mike,

Correct. Assuming that you are using IPSec for the VPN tunnel, the traffic will always have the same source/destination IP addresses so the traffic will only use one of the etherchannel circuits and will not spill over during normal operation. The second circuit will only be used in the event of a link/hardware failure depending on your setup.

Will

Thanks Will.  Thats what I suspected. 

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card