cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN-gateway question

obi
Level 1
Level 1

I've missed what I surmise to be a basic yet critical step in configuring a small 891 isr. So basic that I've put off asking since Friday:

Here's the overview which might be enough to skip the long version:

I can ping and resolve WAN-side things from the router, but not from a PC connected to it. My guess is that I'm just talking to the management interface and nothing else from the PC, but don't know what to tell it to do next

(slightly) longer description

VLAN1 is the default 10.10.10.1, pc is 10.10.10.2 connected to fe7

WAN is on fastethernet8 and connected to a gateway. WAN interface addr is 192.168.10.100, gateway is 192.168.10.1

default route is 192.168.10.1

Giving 192.168.10.100 to my nic and plugging straight in to the gateway works as expected.

Going back to the Cisco switch from the PC, I can ping 10.10.10.1 and 192.128.10.100, but nothing further

I'm happy to provide more details, but I'm so new to cisco that I'm flying a bit blind.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

share your configuration...

Jawad

Jawad

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Vivek Ruhil
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

This is happening because your remote site doesn't have a route for the internal network I.e. 10.0.0.0

There are two options :

1 on the other end add a route for the 10 network towards this site.

2 nat you 10 network to the 192 network on the Cisco Switch.

If you dont have to hide your lan network from remote sites I would encourage using option 1

share your configuration...

Jawad

Jawad

Embarassed. Went to copy out my config, spotted this:

!

no ip routing

!

turned it on, all was well. Sorry all.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card