Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN Per-User Rate Limiting Solution

ross_rulz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have a guest wireless setup but I need to rate limit the users so no one hogs all the bandwidth. The WLC is connected into a 3750 which is doing all the routing between the vlans. I know I cannot shape the traffic on the 3750 but can someone help or point me in the right direction on how to set this up.

Thanks,

Ross.

2 Replies 2

Hi Ross,

except the presence of not-disciplined user i really do not see why you would want to rate limit per user!! It is a lot of work and overload for your devices...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_tech_note09186a0080883f9e.shtml

Have a look to the link above and you will find your direction. Before applying any QoS however i strongly reccomend you to span the data flows produced from the whole infrastructure and to analyse (wireshark would do) which flows you intend to reduce or to prioritise.

should you have a need for a user -rate limiting i would identify that user(s) by an ACL and then manipulating his/her data flows.

I think anyway that i common policy would benefit everybody .

HTH

Alessio

Hi,

If you have proxy server in your setup you can configure the rate limit as user based.

Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card