cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 switching for new site

PIKEYMIKEY
Level 1
Level 1

I have been asked to do a few things which I am unsure about and wanted to know your thoughts on what is being asked. Obv I will go back to the person and ask directly but wanted to get other opinions first and a better understanding.

The project is a new customer site which has a 3rd party managed router. I will be setting up the following.

The Scope of work required will be:

• Configure Layer 3 routing for the site 
  • Build Transit network - A to B – Layer 2 transit

I am thinking the 3rd party will be setting up the MPLS connectivity I will need to do layer2/3.

• Configure Layer 3 routing for the site - Would this just be vlan interface configurations?
  • Build Transit network - A to B – Layer 2 transit - I am not sure what is being asked here.. any ideas or examples?

1 Reply 1

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

Configure Layer 3 routing for the site - Would this just be vlan interface configurations?
maybe IGP to other routers or maybe the BGP setup for the edge router to hook up to the MPLS ISP side

Build Transit network - A to B – Layer 2 transit - I am not sure what is being asked here.. any ideas or examples?
layer 3 neighbor relationship between SVIs over physical layer 2 path

Think Joseph has a better explanation in this thread but generally thats the waay my transit networks are setup
https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/transit-vlans/td-p/1803574

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card