cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Login banner question

Cisco1619
Level 1
Level 1

I am having issues with some of my login banners. I copied the same login banner to my 3750X and 4507 switches and some of them dispaly correctly and some remove the spaces. For example:

Do not make changes to this switch

UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS WILL BE PUNISHED

When this displays, both at logon and with a show run command it will look like this.

Do not make changes to this switch

UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS WILL BE PUNISHED

Does anyone know what setting would make some switches remove my spacing and some retain it?

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok, your IOS version, 12.2(53)SE is one of the few buggiest IOS versions.

I believe 12.2(46)SE and 12.2(50)SE have "banner" IOS bugs.  If you want a very stable IOS version, 12.2(55)SE6 is my recommendation.

However, this is another way of doing this ... and it doesn't require a reboot.

You have two choices, you can do this via Ethernet/TFTP or you can do this via USB.  Either way, you start with the same method.

1.  Create a text file using Notepad;

2.  Create your banner with the in-between-spaces;

3.  Save the text file as you require.

If you want via Ethernet/TFTP, then make sure the file is in the default directory/folder of the TFTP.  Copy the banner text file using the command, "copy tftp:///banner.txt run".  Quit and log back in and see if you are happy with the banner.  If you are, save the config.  If you are not, then re-do 1 to three.

If you want USB, copy the banner file to the USB flash drive (not a USB portable HDD).  Insert the USB flash drive to the 3750X switch and copy the banner file to the appliance using the command "copy usbflash0:banner.txt run".  Same as before, quit and log back in.

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Let me guess, you are using IOS version 12.2(46)SE or 15.0(1)SE?

If not, what is your IOS version?

I am running Version 12.2(53r)SE2. I did find out that it is only on my 3750X that this is occuring. The 4507s that I saw were actually 3750s. I was mistaken because the DNS was not updated since they were changed out a month ago.

Ok, your IOS version, 12.2(53)SE is one of the few buggiest IOS versions.

I believe 12.2(46)SE and 12.2(50)SE have "banner" IOS bugs.  If you want a very stable IOS version, 12.2(55)SE6 is my recommendation.

However, this is another way of doing this ... and it doesn't require a reboot.

You have two choices, you can do this via Ethernet/TFTP or you can do this via USB.  Either way, you start with the same method.

1.  Create a text file using Notepad;

2.  Create your banner with the in-between-spaces;

3.  Save the text file as you require.

If you want via Ethernet/TFTP, then make sure the file is in the default directory/folder of the TFTP.  Copy the banner text file using the command, "copy tftp:///banner.txt run".  Quit and log back in and see if you are happy with the banner.  If you are, save the config.  If you are not, then re-do 1 to three.

If you want USB, copy the banner file to the USB flash drive (not a USB portable HDD).  Insert the USB flash drive to the 3750X switch and copy the banner file to the appliance using the command "copy usbflash0:banner.txt run".  Same as before, quit and log back in.

I hope this helps.

Thank you! I will try this on next week and see if it works!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card