cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Loopback interface unreachable

MrBeginner
Spotlight
Spotlight

HI ,i wold like to know about layer 2 switch loopback interface unreachable problem.

i have the 2960 lanbase switch. I would like to create loopback interface for some purpose.

i have the one vlan. let say vlan id is 10. i would like to get connectivity between vlan 10 network and loopback interface.

I understand if loopback interface and vlan 10 are different network,i need the routing function or ( router) to route each other .

But i am not sure if  i assign vlan 10 ip address to loopback interface,can loopback interface reachable to vlan 10 network ? Please correct me ..

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you like Loopback to work

you need to use VLAN 10 as transport

if the switch has VLAN 10 IP address, you need to have manual static entry for that Loopback to reach in and out.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

MrBeginner
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi balaji.bandi,

can i request to explain detail ?

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

based on the input you have posted.

if you can VLAN 10 to Layer2 switch example switch has 10.10.10.20 IP - which can communicate with other Management VLAN (i take this 10 as management VLAN to manage the Devices) - by default you have only 1 route to go out to uplink switch

if you have Local loopback address 10.10.127.1

on the uplink switch you can have route entry ip route 10.10.127.1 to 10.10.10.20, so your Loopback is reachable. in other vlan

make sense?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card