cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Making a 2950 un-managed

leepowell
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to have a 2950 work as a layer 1 device (hub)? I have a remote site that needs to support sales reps and needs the additional ports with out having to manage it.

Cheers

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

LeRoy

I am not clear what your requirements really are. If they are to provide Ethernet connectivity without needing to manage anything, then you should be able to accomplish this by sending a 2950 but not configuring any extra VLAN and without configuring any IP address or default gateway. In this case there is no management and all ports will work in the same VLAN.

If your requirement really is to have the 2950 operate as a hub (layer 1 repeater) then no you can not do this with a 2950.

If this does not answer your question satisfactorily then perhaps you could clarify your requirements and your question.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Cisco 2950 cannot act as layer 1 device(HUB), also all Cisco devices are manageable only if you configure the devices by setting up ip address, if your are not configuring your 2950 switch with ip address & any other commands, then ofcourse it becomes an un-manageable switch.

But still i wonder, even though a switch has got more advantages than HUB, why you prefer to acts as a HUB with out management.

Hope you might be clear.

Rate this post according to your satisfaction.

rduke
Level 1
Level 1

Don't forget to set your host ports with "spanning-tree portfast" before you send it out as unmanaged.

Randy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: