cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitor interface Multicast utilization - 4506

phil.wightman
Level 1
Level 1

I have deployed Multicast in my environment and am trying to make sure everything is working correctly at the L2 user access switch. User can receive the mCast stream with no problem but I want to make sure that connected ports that are not participating in the Multicast group are not recieving the mCast stream.

My User Access Switches required no Multicast configuration as they have IGMP Snooping enabled automatically. The only configurations that were done were at the routers.

When I look at an interface that is receiving the mCast stream, I do not see the Received mCast counter increasing like I think it should. I currently have a mCast stream running to my PC and the counter is very low..

5 minute input rate 2000 bits/sec, 2 packets/sec
  5 minute output rate 3000 bits/sec, 5 packets/sec
     753 packets input, 91932 bytes, 0 no buffer
     Received 8 broadcasts (3 multicasts)

Should I be looking at something else? Is it even possible to tell?

Thanks!

Phil

1 Reply 1

Eugene Lau
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Phil,

From memory, the cat4500 had a command

#sh interface [no] counter detail

It gave a break down of transmit, receive, queues etc. I believe it also had a multicast, unicast and broadcast counter. If it not this one then its #sh int counter detail

It's not exact but should give you a general idea.

Also, the snapshot you provided has a 5pps 5min average output (to PC) so I wouldnt expect a high increment on any counter. Using Wireshark on the PC could help you validate how many mcast packets are seen on the wire

HTH

Eugene

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card