Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Routing between vlans on layer 3 switches without a Router

jamy66
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a network with 5 access switches connected directly to a cisco 4500, also i have enabled intervlan routing globally so communication between different VLANS with different subnet is not an issue 

as im new to the subject just want to know how can i proceed with multicast routing between VLANs in my environment.

will enabling IGMP on all the switches be enough or do i have to do some other configurations

thnx

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

IGMP snooping should be enabled by default so nothing to do on access switches. 

On the core switch you need to - 

1) enable multicast routing "ip multicast-routing" 

2) on each of the L3 vlan interfaces enable PIM eg.  "ip pim dense-mode" or "ip pim sparse-mode". 

If you configure sparse mode you need an RP as well which would be your core switch in this case. 

Jon

View solution in original post

The PIM RP is only needed on other multicast routers, it's not used on L2 only devices.

I recall (?) it's a global parameter, not an interface parameter. You can have more than one, though, for different multicast address blocks.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

IGMP snooping should be enabled by default so nothing to do on access switches. 

On the core switch you need to - 

1) enable multicast routing "ip multicast-routing" 

2) on each of the L3 vlan interfaces enable PIM eg.  "ip pim dense-mode" or "ip pim sparse-mode". 

If you configure sparse mode you need an RP as well which would be your core switch in this case. 

Jon

thanks Jon

just want clarification regarding adding a RP

so in each VLAN interface i enable PIM sparse

ip pim sparse-mode

assume that my interfaces for core switch for VLAN 1 is 192.168.10.10

and vlan 2 is 10.10.10.5

do i have to assign the RP ip address in access level switches as well or only in the core under each VALN interface if i configure the RP ip address will it be enough

eg:- for vlan 2

ip pim rp-address 10.10.10.5     

thanks

The PIM RP is only needed on other multicast routers, it's not used on L2 only devices.

I recall (?) it's a global parameter, not an interface parameter. You can have more than one, though, for different multicast address blocks.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card