Views
Helpful
Replies

NBAR2 Protocol Pack

alessandro.s
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i'm trying to upgrade NBAR protocol pack on my cisco 1941 router, so i downloaded new NABR protocol pack  (version 4.0.0) and transferred it into router flash via tftp.

When i try to apply new protocol pack with command :

ip nbar protocol-pack flash:[protocol-pack-name]

i got this error :

% NBAR Error : Advanced Protocol Pack can not be loaded on top of Standard Protocol Pack

The router is running IPBASE IOS with Security License, IOS image is c1900-universalk9-mz.SPA.153-1.T.bin

Any Suggestion? Does NBAR2 packages works on IO BASE images?

Thankyou in advance.

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

there's a lot of information in "NBAR2 (Next Generation NBAR) Protocol Pack FAQ" :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6558/ps6616/qa_C67-723689.html

"Q. Does a user need a license of any kind to access NBAR protocol packs?"

"A. NBAR users having a AVC (Application Visibility and Control) feature license can load and use protocol packs on routers. Please refer to the protocol pack licensing section in this document for more details."

"Q. Can a user load a protocol pack on any Cisco IOS/IOS-XE image?"

"A. The minimum IOS version required to load a NBAR protocol pack on a ISR-G2 platforms is Cisco IOS Software Release15.2(4) M.

Loading a protocol pack can be done if the engine version on the platform is the same or higher than the version required by the protocol pack.

To view the NBAR engine version on the device, use:

Router#sh ip nbar version | include software

It is strongly recommended to use the protocol pack that is the exact match for the engine, and also recommended to use the latest protocol pack for the base image."

Hope that helps,

Best regards

Rolf

Supplement:

Found in BRKNMS-3135 (Cisco Live 365):

Standard Protocol Pack

‒ Available (as Default Protocol pack) in IP Base image

Advanced Protocol Pack

‒ Available  (as Default protocol pack) in DATA image

Added: BRKNMS-3135 info

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

there's a lot of information in "NBAR2 (Next Generation NBAR) Protocol Pack FAQ" :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6558/ps6616/qa_C67-723689.html

"Q. Does a user need a license of any kind to access NBAR protocol packs?"

"A. NBAR users having a AVC (Application Visibility and Control) feature license can load and use protocol packs on routers. Please refer to the protocol pack licensing section in this document for more details."

"Q. Can a user load a protocol pack on any Cisco IOS/IOS-XE image?"

"A. The minimum IOS version required to load a NBAR protocol pack on a ISR-G2 platforms is Cisco IOS Software Release15.2(4) M.

Loading a protocol pack can be done if the engine version on the platform is the same or higher than the version required by the protocol pack.

To view the NBAR engine version on the device, use:

Router#sh ip nbar version | include software

It is strongly recommended to use the protocol pack that is the exact match for the engine, and also recommended to use the latest protocol pack for the base image."

Hope that helps,

Best regards

Rolf

Supplement:

Found in BRKNMS-3135 (Cisco Live 365):

Standard Protocol Pack

‒ Available (as Default Protocol pack) in IP Base image

Advanced Protocol Pack

‒ Available  (as Default protocol pack) in DATA image

Added: BRKNMS-3135 info

Thanks for the reply,

i 'll check information from link you provided.

Best regards

Alessandro

grambo1980
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is a very old thread, but did you ever fix this issue?  I'm not able to upgrade the protocol pack, and there is nothing in that documentation that states how to disable the default protocol pack. Any suggestions?  

Thanks. 

router(config)#ip nbar protocol-pack pp-adv-isrg2-153-3.M3-16-11.0.0.pack force
% NBAR Error: Advanced Protocol Pack cannot be loaded on top of Standard Protocol Pack

router(config)#do show ip nbar protocol-pack active detail

Active Protocol Pack:

Name:                            Standard Protocol Pack
Version:                         1.0
Publisher:                       Cisco Systems Inc.
NBAR Engine Version:             16
State:                           Active

The issue was the data license was not active.  After activating the data license it would allow the Advance protocol pack to be installed. 

I have this problem.

Please link me to how exactly to activate the data license

You should active your license in router.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/configuration/guide/chassis/asrswcfg/csa_rtu.html

use blow command:

license boot level { adventerprise | advipservices |ipbase }

If you choose ipbase, the router only can use nbar standard pack.

For nbar advaced pack, you can choose adventerprise.

why is there clearly NO helpful info here

I know this is an old post, but saw your last comment while searching for other info.

license boot module module-name level license-level

"?" out the command to see what fits your needs.

I'm not personally familiar with the 1900 series, but on a 2900, you would add:

licensebootmodule c2900technology-package datak9

accept the user agreement (if you agree)

verify with show version and find "Technology-package Next reboot" with "datak9"

reboot (as instructed in user agreement)

verify with show version and find "Technology-package Current" with "datak9"

I would assume it's a very similar process, but here's a reference if you need more info: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/csa/command/csa-cr-book/csa-l1.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card