Views
Helpful
Replies

Need clarification on upgrading and licensing

Max-o_o-Power
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I am a confused about the process of upgrading and licensing afterwards.

For example, I currently have a 3560G switch running c3560-ipservicesk9-mz.122-58.SE2

I have a spare 3560 V2 switch I want to configure and have ready in case of a failure. This spare switch is running c3560-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE5

My plan was to pull the IOS image from the current switch and upload it to the spare that way I have an "idnetical" switch. From what I have read, there are some feature differences between "ipbase" and "ipservices". However, when I run the show license command on the production switch, I get an unrecongnized command error. So that throws into my confusion as if its running an ipservices image, shouldnt it have a license file?

Any info to clear this up is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

These switches do not have licensing files and all features are dictated by the image in use.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The older switches are not license based.  They are feature set based. Now, if the license command is supported on your 3560 V2 switch, then you can purchase additional license to upgrade it from IP base to IP services. 

HTH

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

These switches do not have licensing files and all features are dictated by the image in use.

Thank you and Reza for taking the time to answer my question.

How can I identify which devices will use the new license techniques in the future?

Most newer switches are license based these days.  For example: 3750E and 3750X series are both license based.  I think, so is the new 3850.

HTH 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card