Views
Helpful
Replies

Network design

isaaco001
Level 3
Level 3

Dear Community,

I have been going through 300-115 Cisco Official switching certification guide.my issue is that there are numerous switch block scenarios with best practice designs but there isn't the best practise when connecting the switch blocks to routers. I have come up with various designs hoping to clarify on best practise designs from experienced engineers. My question is how best can you make the connection from two core switches to a one or two routers? What if there is only one core switch and two routers?.Any reference to design guides for these scenarios are welcomed.

I have attached the snapshots of the topolgies in question.

Thank you all.

2 Replies 2

B.kablawi90
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

First of all, in design world there is no thing means best practice. The best practice is depending on the customer requirements only.

In topologies file (A,B, and D) are not recommended as they have a single point of failure in the 

How best can you make the connection from two core switches to one router?

In topology C you can use configure redundant interface feature so of fa1/1 goes down the interface fa0/1 can take the lead 

In topology_two file, having a core switch with redundant supervisor engines and power sources make a sense, then you can run FHRP on the routers to get the desired failover but in this topology there already two core switches and adding an extra one to connect the routers is adding more money and the customer won't like it.

How best can you make the connection from two core switches to two routers?

Have two routers connected to two switches (over L3 IGP) each router has two connection each connection with one switch with redundant interface

Best Regards

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

As said , There is no best design it is just how you meet the requirement of a customer.

A best design by meaning is to achieve full redundancy at each layer /component level to maintain a service level of 99.999% .

And follow a principle to make the architecture simple , scalable and highly available.

So you can decide the best suited design based on your requirement.

Hope it helps..

-GI

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card