cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network documentation (for disaster recovery)

Marian Hercek
Level 1
Level 1

What are recommended commands to get input for network documentation (for disaster recovery)?

I've got 6500 with these modules: WS-SVC-FWM-1,

WS-SVC-IDSM-2, VS-S720-10G, WS-X6704-10GE, WS-X6748-SFP and dozens of WS-C3750E-48TD in couple of buildings.

So far I have these commands:

more system:running

show interfaces status

show vlan

show spanning-tree

show vtp status interface

show cdp neighbors

show etherchannel summary

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

RKB04071984_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would say to have the configuration file is enough. Otherwise you should keep your topology documentation up to date in case of a disaster.

You could use the command archive config to save in another location your last configuration file. More instructions on the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/fundamentals/command/A_through_B.html#GUID-26CDF18C-A66D-488A-BA38-D85A70AD95DF

However this command is not available for FW and IDS modules. In these case you could use the Cisco Security Manager - CSM to avoid any lost.

Ronaldo

View solution in original post

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Marian,

Apart from having a backup of your running-config, I suggest also making a backup of the following data:

• vlan.dat
  • IOS images
  • any special files if located in FLASH
  • inventory of the device (show inventory to have a bill of materials if a physical component fails)

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

RKB04071984_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would say to have the configuration file is enough. Otherwise you should keep your topology documentation up to date in case of a disaster.

You could use the command archive config to save in another location your last configuration file. More instructions on the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/fundamentals/command/A_through_B.html#GUID-26CDF18C-A66D-488A-BA38-D85A70AD95DF

However this command is not available for FW and IDS modules. In these case you could use the Cisco Security Manager - CSM to avoid any lost.

Ronaldo

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Marian,

Apart from having a backup of your running-config, I suggest also making a backup of the following data:

• vlan.dat
  • IOS images
  • any special files if located in FLASH
  • inventory of the device (show inventory to have a bill of materials if a physical component fails)

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter for valuable suggestions.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card